Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
WEB:Web Design Forum- TutorialsDreamweaver Forum- TutorialsFlash Forum- TutorialsWeb Streaming

Social Media Site-templates and coding?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ryan SchultzSocial Media Site-templates and coding?
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:06:19 pm

I've read Cow mag for years- new to forum.

I have a client who needs a social media style site developed. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction as where to start?

I have directed many creative/advertising projects, but web design experience is limited to Dream Weaver & Fire Works.

Are there any templates available to get me started?
What styles of coding would be involved?
What are some avenues I can acquire the coding talent needed?

Thank you for reading any help is greatly appreciated!

Have a great Day!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Curtis ThompsonRe: Social Media Site-templates and coding?
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:34:41 pm

hello...

ooh - not sure if you've done this already, but if not, i would really have a more detailed conversation with your client as to what their needs are and see if something like their own social network site is really the solution to their goal. this is definitely not a case of "build it and they will come."

why wouldn't leveraging the existing king (for better or for worse) of social media (facebook) be desirable? you can build the best custom site in the world, but users won't come to it if they are already using another site to do the same thing...

as to templates, etc. - i'd start using a basic forum such as phpbb or the likes. it won't be a "social media site", but it will offer a lot of the same functionality, such as posts, commenting, media uploads, etc...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: Social Media Site-templates and coding?
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 5:48:24 pm

I'll go with Curtis recommendation. Create a Facebook page and a Twitter account for the client. Then, you can add a blog to the actual company site and insert buttons to share posts in Facebook and Twitter.

If you use something like Wordpress to create the blog, there are widgets to display your actual twits and Facebook status on your page.

Not any of these options are particularly difficult to implement, but Social Networking can be a full time job, so consider having somebody that will post, review, answer to comments and be up to date with the company latest news.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: Social Media Site-templates and coding?
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 8:05:50 pm

Also agree...

Are you familiar with Word Press? I recently did a site for a company's intranet which was all about posting up events, allowing people to comment and track progress etc, all done in wordpress and it SOOOOOOOO easy... once you familiarise yourself with it :o))

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan SchultzRe: Social Media Site-templates and coding?
by on Feb 18, 2011 at 5:42:40 pm

Hey Curtis,

Thanks for your feedback...I have discussed the social network...solution issue. It is the infrastructural base that is needed it's not really going to be a social networking site.

I came across a packaged solution (NING)- that seems like it might work although bandwidth may eventually be a problem as they max at 200GB w/ only 20GB storage.

I will check into phpbb.

Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]