Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK:Autodesk Smoke ForumAutodesk CombustionAutodesk Smoke 2013

Avid AAF

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Muhammad JamilAvid AAF
by on Jun 30, 2012 at 10:00:14 am

When I import avid AAF it does not link to media where as media is in the same folder. it says FOLLOWING ERROR OCURED CANNOT SCAN /VOLUMES NOT A DIRECTORY

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Avid AAF
by on Jun 30, 2012 at 12:53:43 pm

When you make the AAF, do you consolidate all the media into a single folder as well? That's what we do with all AAFs.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Muhammad JamilRe: Avid AAF
by on Jun 30, 2012 at 9:27:28 pm

Since I am exporting aaf right in to the avid media folder where original media resides. Is it still necessary to consolidate media into same folder, aren't we just duplicating the media. Not a big problem for 10 minutes sequence but we normally do hours long documentaries.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 30, 2012 at 9:31:47 pm

Please note that error says cannot scan /volumes not a directory. Isn't it a directory permission problem?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Avid AAF
by on Jul 1, 2012 at 3:14:00 pm

Mainly because when you work in Avid, it puts all of the media for all of your projects into one folder. When you want to send your project to another app, we've always been advised to do the AAF with the make media copy command so only the media for that one particular timeline is in one folder. Makes it very easy for the third party app to find the media quickly.

In the case of Resolve for example on our SAN, it could take the software hours to find the media through the tens of thousands of clips that reside on the SAN for all the projects going on in our shop. I would suspect it could be the same for Smoke though we have not tried this as of yet. I'm actually going to test out the AAF workflow today from Premiere Pro.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 1, 2012 at 10:22:21 pm

I agree but when you are just doing a test with totally blank Avid media folder with only 2 or three clips. Why Smoke fails to link to media.

I have AJA kipro I copied some pro ress clips to a folder. Then I edit them with Avid MC throug AMA no import, just a link to media. Then I exported my seq. as aaf to same folder without media consolidation and it worked. So why it cannot do same thing with avid media files and folders.

One thing to note Kipro clips looked very nicely blended with proper color in Avid MC while same clips didn't look that good in Smoke may be that color space did not get converted properly from broadcast to RGB.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joel OsisRe: Avid AAF
by on Jul 3, 2012 at 1:36:27 pm

The color shift you mention is a preference, it's called include YUV headroom, this will take care of the gamma shift, not sure if it's in the beta version, in terms of taking a long time to scan for the AAF files this is also another preference that you can set , max directories to scan through again not sure if this is in the beta, from my experience drag and drop conforms from avid AAF have been pretty pleasant

w: http://www.joelosis.com
e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 3, 2012 at 2:03:40 pm

Well I cannot find YUV option in any of the tabs on media hub. AAF I am not saying its not taking long time. I say it fail completely with an error message "cannot scan /VOLUMES not a directory". It somehow manages to link to quicklime clips but not avid media/MXF files.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason AgnewRe: Avid AAF
by on Jul 28, 2012 at 4:31:36 am

Did you get anywhere with your test with AAFs out of Premiere? I recently edited a 6 minute piece that was finished in Smoke premium. Smoke had problems with AAFs, EDLs, and the only reason it saw XML was because I imported it into Final Cut from Premiere first, then resaved the XML.

My system was taking too long to consolidate in Premiere, so I have yet to try that. I am also an Avid guy, and I have never had to consolidate media in an Avid project prior to sending it to Smoke. If this is the new workflow, then okie dokie.

-jason

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]