Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK:Autodesk Smoke ForumAutodesk CombustionAutodesk Smoke 2013

Smoke 4:4:4 Capture is slightly Green

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Kieran HanrahanSmoke 4:4:4 Capture is slightly Green
by on May 3, 2012 at 10:14:21 pm

Hey there,

I am capturing in Smoke using a Sony HDCAMSR VTR SRW-5500 and a tape with 23.976p 4:4:4 footage.

I have adjusted under the Engineering tab of Input Clip to use In Serial Dual 4:4:4 and Out Serial 4:4:4, but my clips are coming in slightly green.

The VTR is setup correctly bc I can see the output in the postage stamp sized viewer of the VTR control panel and the colorspace is correct.

The clips are not as green as if it had been setup incorrectly for 4:2:2, but still a very green tint like found in the Matrix movies.

Does anyone know what I am missing here? Thanks in advance for your time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Smoke 4:4:4 Capture is slightly Green
by on May 3, 2012 at 10:41:38 pm

What camera was the footage shot on. Perhaps it's some form of log.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hans von SonntagRe: Smoke 4:4:4 Capture is slightly Green
by on May 4, 2012 at 10:36:06 am

I this Viper footage? That had a distinct green cast and needed a LUT. Otherwise, ask the DOP. I doubt that something is wrong with SDI and Smoke.

Hans

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kieran HanrahanRe: Smoke 4:4:4 Capture is slightly Green
by on May 4, 2012 at 1:46:35 pm

This is 16mm telecine footage.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hans von SonntagRe: Smoke 4:4:4 Capture is slightly Green
by on May 4, 2012 at 1:51:14 pm

I guess the green tint is intended. Some one must know, or its it historic footage? Either way I never came across funky channels in a SDI pipeline.

Hans

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2012 at 4:19:14 pm

Hmm, going to try the capture on a Flame tomorrow. The tint is definitely not correct, even the slates are tinted this sickly green.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

moody glasgowRe: Smoke 4:4:4 Capture is slightly Green
by on May 4, 2012 at 4:43:52 pm

Have you tried capturing the footage on a different system?

moody glasgow
smoke/flame
http://www.thereelthinginc.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom TortorielloRe: Smoke 4:4:4 Capture is slightly Green
by on May 4, 2012 at 8:36:18 pm

I don't think this has been mentioned, but you are "wired" for 4:4:4, right? Meaning dual link, Ie: Serial A and serial B from deck to the Smoke input (AJA break out box)? Basically, you do have 2 BNC cables going from your HDCamSR deck to your Smoke input? I've also had it do weird things when the deck choice (in capture) is set to Panasonic D5 instead of HDcamSR, I'm assuming that's a deck config. issue (in the init.cfg set-up).
Also, I wouldn't judge the image by the postage stamp size display on the control panel of the HDcamSR. Can you feed the signal (once again dual link 4:4:4) to a monitor in your machine room?

I've had that green and/or purply look in the past. Good Luck! -TomT.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 7, 2012 at 9:35:40 pm

Over the weekend, I captured the footage first try on one of the Flames. I think the Smoke might be wired incorrectly like was mentioned. There are 2 cables hooked up to the A and B inputs on the breakout box, but looking at the AJA ControlPanel app something is wrong.

I changed the Video Input Source to Dual Link, restarted Smoke, no change in capture. I then also changed SDI from YUV to RGB-Full, restarted Smoke, still greenish capture.

The 'No Video' next to the SDI In 2 Arrow looks suspect to me. I am going to check the wiring to the VTR.

Thanks for all of the replies! Please let me know what your AJA ControlPanels look like compared to mine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 9, 2012 at 12:43:44 am

Got it working! The router was not sending 2 channels to the Smoke. I had to patch it in directly. Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom TortorielloRe: Smoke 4:4:4 Capture is slightly Green
by on May 9, 2012 at 1:49:18 am

glad you got it working! -TomT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy