Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK:Autodesk Smoke ForumAutodesk CombustionAutodesk Smoke 2013

Timewarping

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alan MaidenTimewarping
by on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:04:15 pm

Hi
Can anyone tell me why now on Smoke 2012 software a progressive timewarp has to render the clip!
Previously if you did a progressive timewarp either faster or slower it would just double up frames or throw frames away and the timewarp would be instant. Now it seems to actually reprocess the clip, an possible even generate new frames within the smoke I would guess. This can be very frustrating when timewarping an HD clip of 3 minutes.
Cheers
Alan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

moody glasgowRe: Timewarping
by on Nov 22, 2011 at 3:40:03 pm

As far as I know, Smoke has always had to render all timewarps.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan MaidenRe: Timewarping
by on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:00:19 pm

It has never rendered progressive timewarps in the past. It has always treated them like repeat frames or frame cutting so no processing and no new media written to its stones. It has only come about since the 2012 upgrade!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

robert coulinRe: Timewarping
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 11:29:07 am

hi,

you might have seen this already on smoke news:

The behaviour has been changed since we introduced the Source Grading workflow with Lustre in Smoke 2012 Extension/SAP 1. We now need to explicitely render the frames to be able to exchange them with Lustre through WireTap.

If you are not interested in this workflow, you can set an environment variable so the old behaviour is restored:

MAC OS:

1. Open a terminal
2. write the following line: defaults write ~/.MacOSX/environment DL_DISABLE_NOOP_SOFT_FX_OPTIMISATION 0

LINUX

1. Be sure to be logged as the software
2. Open a shell
3. write the following line: nedit .cshrc
>>> A text editor will open
4. In the text editor, add the following line: setenv DL_DISABLE_NOOP_SOFT_FX_OPTIMISATION 0
5. Save
6. Exit

In both case, it is easier to close all the windows and start the application again (MAC) and from another shell (Linux)

hth
robert

robert coulin
http://www.dreamwalks.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan MaidenRe: Timewarping
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 2:32:46 pm

Thank you for this. I have just received exactly the same from Autodesk and it is brilliant. It fixes the rendering of progressive timewarps so they no longer render, saves so much time.
On a similar note, I believe there is a similar script to fix lighting between 2011 and 2012 software. I don't suppose you've come across that one have you, I can't find it.

Cheers
Alan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]