Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK:Autodesk Smoke ForumAutodesk CombustionAutodesk Smoke 2013

Premultiplication in Axis?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Aaron NeitzPremultiplication in Axis?
by on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:40:16 pm

You have a black/white targa file that's a legal line. you drop it over picture, add Axis, and do a Load Matte with the same black/white targa file. your result is a pre-multiplication error where the edges of the text are rimmed with black. You can set the layer mode to ADD which corrects the edges, but then you have no access to shadows or transparency.

Is there a way to tell Smoke to pre-multiply in Axis? i.e. "Divide" in Action.

My current solution is to place a pure white color in the timeline, then Load Matte from the targa.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom TortorielloRe: Premultiplication in Axis?
by on Jan 11, 2011 at 11:13:47 pm

Which version of Smoke are you using? I believe the later versions (after 2010?) will allow you to maintain shadows and transparency when you change the mode from BLEND (default) to ADD. I have always been in the habit of filling my keys with a solid color, and leaving it in blend mode if it's for a legal super or a simple (not multicolored) title or graphic. There are other options (simple add, multipy, etc.), but i'm not sure if "divide" is one of them. I'm not in the chair this week, so I don't have a Smoke to play with. BTW, I do this as a soft-effect (container on the timeline), or in the ACTION module.
You can also try changing the Anti-aliasing (AA) and resolution in the SETUP menu. -TomT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian MulliganRe: Premultiplication in Axis?
by on Jan 11, 2011 at 11:58:25 pm

There is no divide function in Axis. You can play with the blending curves. Or you can do a pre-divide in logic ops. Or use the white frame trick.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aaron NeitzRe: Premultiplication in Axis?
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:41:31 am

Thanks, someone at my studio mentioned trying the blending curves, which I hadn't thought of.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 12, 2011 at 7:04:59 am

I'm on Smoke Advanced 2011 Tom. No such luck. If it's ADD, it doesn't allow transparency or shadow.

Maybe 2012?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom TortorielloRe: Premultiplication in Axis?
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:46:43 pm

No Aaron, I haven't used 2012 software yet (i think 2011 SP3 is what i've been using), but as I said I'm not in front of a system this week. I'm pretty sure ADD will give you at least transparency, as I know it used to drive me nuts when I'd change the transparency % while in ADD and nothing would happen (with older software versions). I'll try calling one of my "Smoker" buddies in NYC, but we got hit with a decent amount of snow last night here in the Northeast, so I'm not sure if people will be in. Hopefully Brian, or one of the other members will chime in. -TomT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian MulliganRe: Premultiplication in Axis?
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:58:36 pm

Simple Add should give you transparancy. There should be an ADD TRANS as well I know that you can have transparancy in all of the blend modes now. at least in Action you do. I am not sure if the made it into AXIS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:02:52 am

I'll check tomorrow. I'm fairly certain transparency does NOT work with ADD in Axis. But I'll look for TRANS ADD.

Either way I'd need shadow to work too (clients always want to try a drop shadow on legal), so it seems using a white solid is the best route.

thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan MaidenRe: Premultiplication in Axis?
by on Jan 13, 2011 at 3:08:07 pm

You can use the ADD TRANS option and this will allow shows and transparency settings to work

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 19, 2011 at 6:40:56 pm

Thanks Alan. Add Trans works a charm!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]