Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK:Autodesk Smoke ForumAutodesk CombustionAutodesk Smoke 2013

Canon 5d to Avid to Smoke Workflow

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alec EvesCanon 5d to Avid to Smoke Workflow
by on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:56:24 pm

Hi
Am looking for a decent workflow for taking the Canon 5d QT's into Avid and then being able to conform again in Smoke. Have tried with an AAF, relinking to the hires QTs and converting the footage into DNxHD codec MXF files, but this doesn't work. It looks like all the QTs that the Avid is cutting from have 01:00:00:00 timecode, but the Smoke doesn't even manage to find one of them, and shouldn't the AAF make the MXF files so this doesn't matter anyway?
Is there a way of doing this without transcoding the QTs in some way before the Avid offline starts?
Any help greatly appreciated
Alec

Smoke 2010 SP1

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian MulliganRe: Canon 5d to Avid to Smoke Workflow
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 1:58:59 am

FWIW: Smoke 2011 will import h264 quicktimes from 5D/7D.

however, do the Qt's from 5D have TC? Or do they all just start at 00:00:00:00? I have heard different stories.

As someone who edits from scratch, why not just edit on Smoke, and not use Avid to offline? Smoke is a good editor.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alec EvesRe: Canon 5d to Avid to Smoke Workflow
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 9:47:49 am

Hi Brian
Yes I'm aware 2011 will do h264, unfortunately I'm only on 2010. I think the same issues might still remain as the transcoding process seems to remove the meta data, filename or tc that the smoke needs to conform it again from the AAF. The Avid always applies a 01:00:00:00 tc to the QTs it imports so the question is can you override this or manage to keep some link back to the original filename and tc in the AAF export, so that the Smoke can conform it.
As an aside, what actually happens when the Smoke imports QTs or MXFs etc, does it turn it all into 'Smoke media' on the stone (and what is this if it does) or does it put QTs on the stone that it can read?
As for offlining in Smoke, not something that most facilities would ever manage to sell to their clients, though when Smoke is seen on the same machine as FCP then who knows.
Cheers
Alec

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian MulliganRe: Canon 5d to Avid to Smoke Workflow
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:49:11 am

You can hard import the qts to Smoke and they will become Stone media, which is uncompressed RGB frames. Or you can soft import the H264 qts and retain their metadata and Smoke will refernce the origional files on a San or even portable USB. We shoot P2 1080, and I work directly from the mxf files on usb hard drives. Quick import and saves stone storage.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David JahnsRe: Canon 5d to Avid to Smoke Workflow
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:53:16 pm

the 5D qt's will not have timecode, but the mov file does have a "created at" time of day meta data. There's a plugin for FCP that will create a timecode track when transcoding to ProRes, based on that time of day. We've used this method to transcode to ProRes LT for offline, and then reingest at ProRes 444 for online.

We are currently using 5D footage in Avid 4 for offline editing a nation TV spot, and the only way we could guarantee a match back for online was to dump the footage to HDCAM-SR, and redigitize from that source, which we're treating that tape as the "negative". Crazy, I know, but without source timecode, what else do you do? This should also work with Smoke, of course - but you'll need an SR deck and extra time!

Not sure if Avid 5 has any better options - we're planning to upgrade soon...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]