Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Live feed from Camera to Projector

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Adam KeyesLive feed from Camera to Projector
by on Aug 23, 2010 at 7:15:40 pm

Hey guys,

I assume this is a SIMPLE solution, but not sure, as I've never done this exact thing before...

Basically, gonna be running a Varicam 2700 (high end video camera), and I want to send that live image to a video projector.

I know that this is easily done (if you know what you're doing) but I DON'T know exactly what I need to do it. Do I just need a simple cable/adapter to stretch from the camera to the projector and I'm good to go? Or do I need some kind of hardware converter box or something?

Picture quality is not a big deal. But the camera is HD and the projector is SD...sooooo?

Camera is Panasonic Varicam 2700
Projector is ViewSonic PJ501 (looks like a pretty standard projector)

Thanks guys!

Adam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Live feed from Camera to Projector
by on Aug 23, 2010 at 7:37:50 pm

I had to look up the projector. The daily rental of that camera is almost the total purchase cost of that projector, which is at least 5 years old. I hope you are not expecting much from it.

Does your Varicam have the option of an SD downconvert on its monitor output?

If not, you will need a scaler or switcher inline between your camera and the projector.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam KeyesRe: Live feed from Camera to Projector
by on Aug 23, 2010 at 8:43:01 pm

Haha! Yeah the projector is a joke, but that's what they've got, so, woohoo!

I should've said this...but yes, the Varicam's Mon Out does have SD downconvert built in. That's what I use to hook up a small monitor when filming, so I thought that would be an option, but I didn't really know what kind of cable/adapter/converter would be needed to send the signal into the projector.

AND, from Mon Out, I assume I'll have to use an adapter to get into the projector, so which input on the projector should I go for? Are any of the projector's inputs better/worse for the signal I'll be sending?

Thaaaanks again,

Adam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Live feed from Camera to Projector
by on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:52:16 am

If I recall correctly, Varicam's SD monitor out is composite, right? That means you'd have to use composite in on the projector. Does Varicam letterbox or anamorphic squeeze on output? You'll have to reconcile the 16:9 camera format with the 4:3 projection format.

The more flexible option might be renting a switcher to handle the format conversion for you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:56:29 am

Thanks again for the response...

I think a bnc cable from mon out to RCA composite video in should work for video. i think. and i think i even have the adapters i need laying around here somewhere...

To answer your question, I THINK the camera's settings and/or the projector's settings should be able to determine if the video out is letterboxed and whatnot, right? the 'mon out' signal is downconverted to SD, so I guess it'll be easy to work that part of it out.

it all now makes sense in my head. ha! we'll see!

Adam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marc NowinskiRe: Live feed from Camera to Projector
by on Aug 24, 2010 at 6:30:48 am

we connected a Sony steadycam via a normal cinch cable to a Sanyo PLC-XP100 as a quick solution once. Projected the image to a 43 sqft daylight biggAIRcube and the result was fine, client was happy. It was an outdoor event with 300 people.

Marc Nowinski
france@biggair.com
http://www.biggair.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 24, 2010 at 12:37:52 pm

Thanks Marc, I'm gonna try a few things today and see what happens...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 25, 2010 at 2:12:48 pm

Thanks again guys for your help...

It worked as I thought...BNC adapter on the camera's 'Mon Out' to RCA in on the projector. A few changes to the menu settings of both the camera and the projector and voila! Didn't really have time to check for quality, but I know it works. So I'm happy.

Now I just need to find a 200 foot RCA cable. :)

Thanks!

Adam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John LivingsRe: Live feed from Camera to Projector
by on Aug 27, 2010 at 2:32:46 am

You could use RG 6 Cable and just put the correct ends on, I think that would work.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 11:43:39 am

Yup, that's what I'm gonna end up doing, cause that coax cable comes in huge 100ft spools. Didn't know that before...apparently everyone else did. :) Such a simple solution!

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 6:49:57 pm

Adam, You said 100', I think you meant 1000', 500' is also common.

Regards, John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:59:39 pm

I'll definitely take your word....I just know the guy who's lending the cable said he has 100 foot spools. Cool!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 8:31:44 pm

Adam, Another simple option is if your cable person has 100 footers with "F" connectors installed (TV),

Just put 2-100 footers together with a coupling and add a "F" to BNC or "F" to RCA to the equipment ends.

Just be sure to order the correct "Gender" For the adapters.

Regards, John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marc NowinskiRe: Live feed from Camera to Projector
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 8:02:56 am

we had an event last week with live camera connected via a 300 ft BNC cable to a Sanyo PLC XP100 projector. You can see the excellent results here http://www.flickr.com/photos/45619179@N05/sets/72157624902272642/

Marc Nowinski
france@biggair.com
http://www.biggair.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 19, 2011 at 7:58:40 pm

5 months later....

Everything worked out fine. Thanks to everyone who commented.

Hindsight though: The only thing I was missing was a RNC splitter. I don't think I ever mentioned that I was running the camera on a jib and that that I was already using the Mon Out RNC output to run the small monitor that I use for the jib...So basically I had to use that same output to run to the projector which meant I had no output for my monitor!!!

So, if anyone out there is in the same boat, make sure you buy a RNC splitter so you can run to all the monitors/projectors you need!

Thanks again,

Adam Keyes

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David CharlesRe: Live feed from Camera to Projector
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 4:06:00 pm

I've never done a live feed event but just had an offer to do one for an amature boxing match. What am i going to need? I assume i will have to rent most of the gear. I have a MacBook pro, A Canon T3i which i'm assuming won't be suffice and the venue is supplying the projector. I'm waiting to hear back on the make of it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dior SharpRe: Live feed from Camera to Projector
by on Aug 29, 2013 at 5:56:17 pm

Hey,I really need some help.
This could be an easy fix...I work in a club, and next weekend we have a band that wants to come in and use our projector. There goal is to be able to switch from live video (canon t3i) to slide shows (projector).
They want to hook up the projector to their mac and then also hook their canon t3i to their mac so they can easily switch from canon video to projector slides at anytime.

How exactly do I do this?

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]