Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Flickering pictuer noise

COW Forums : Leitch dpsVelocity

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jeff TaupmannFlickering pictuer noise
by on Jun 24, 2009 at 3:33:46 pm

Ive got flickering picture noise in all of my DVE transitions and some in DVE effects. All of my RT transitions are good. I'm using 4 lines of video and 3 of them have DVE effects. The first line of DVE effects will have the flickering and the other 2 lines with DVE effects will not.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BlairRe: Flickering pictuer noise
by on Jun 26, 2009 at 2:34:03 am

Have you run the DPS hardware test? Run it to see if there's a problem with the hardware. If it passes all tests, then you'd have to look at other issues. I'm not sure what you mean when you say flickering picture noise, but the Velocity DVE is good but not great. It can sometimes make fine lines flicker. The fix is to use the bandwidth option in the DVE. Change it from auto to manual and play around with the settings to soften the flickering.

If you hardware fails the hardware tests, I'd recommend pulling the card (Reality, Quattrus, Altitude depending on what you have), cleaning the PCI contacts with contact cleaning solution (can get it at Radio Shack) or with a pencil eraser. Then reseat the boards and make sure they're well seated, the bracket is snugly screwed in, and any supports brackets inside the PC are doing their job.

If you still have the problem..and the noise you're talking about is really noise and not just a limitation of the DVE, then you likely have a defective board or DVE module. You'd have to contact Harris for repair. It used to be $750 for a repair. Or you can look on Ebay for a replacement which you might be able to get for less than $750.

Report back what you find out.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff TaupmannRe: Flickering pictuer noise
by on Jun 26, 2009 at 6:37:50 pm

I ran the test and there was a problem with the DVE. Cleaned out the system and the contacts, cables and ports. Reboot the system and ran new diagnoistics. Everything can up clear! Picture looks great and no more flickering. Thank you for all your help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BlairRe: Flickering pictuer noise
by on Jun 29, 2009 at 11:55:31 pm

You're welcome. One thing to keep in mind. This issue could be indicative of a board that's beginning to fail. I've seen boards work for years after cleaning and reseating, but more often, a few months later the problem will return and cleaning and reseating won't fix it.

So when you have some spare time you might want to be thinking of a backup plan should something go south. We have 3 VelocityQ's and 1 Velocity system and we keep an extra IBM intellistation on-hand with the OS, all software etc. installed, as well as contacts with people that sell VelocityQ systems on a regular basis on Ebay.

It helps us to have several systems as we can just move projects, but when we used to have just one, we even kept an extra Quattrus board on-hand in case of failure. It was expensive (a few thousand to for the board), but it sure was a life-saver on a couple of occasions when we had deadlines with major clients and hardware issues surfaced. They always occur when you LEAST can afford them.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]