Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

DVDSP 4 and Closed Captioned Quicktime Problem

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Albert OConnorDVDSP 4 and Closed Captioned Quicktime Problem
by on May 18, 2012 at 1:28:36 pm

I have been supplied a Quicktime video file that has closed captioning in it. The Quicktime Inspector states that this file has "AVC coding, 720x480, Millions, AAC, Stereo, 44.1 kHz."

I need to author a DVD (using DVDSP 4.2.2) but when I try to import this Quicktime video file into DVDSP, DVDSP provides and error message: "Import Assets Incompatible Format"

I've tried using FCP 7.0.3 to import the Closed Captioned QT file then export this Quicktime file using a codec compatible with DVDSP but the newly exported CC'd QT file's Closed Captioning gets stripped off and is no longer in this new exported file. I've tried exporting it using multiple codecs within FCP 7 and still no joy. I have Sorenson Squeeze 6 and have tried exporting this file and still the CC is gone when I play the new exported file. I've tried eRight Super to export this CC'd QT file into a file format compatible with DVDSP and still the Closed Captioning gets removed.

How can I import my Closed Captioned Quicktime file with AVC coding, 720x480, Millions, AAC, Stereo, 44.1 kHz, into DVDSP and maintain the Closed Captioning?

Bert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill StephanRe: DVDSP 4 and Closed Captioned Quicktime Problem
by on May 18, 2012 at 3:08:55 pm

Albert,

Closed captioning needs to be imported into DVD assets via a separate caption file. Whoever embedded the caption data into your Quicktime file should be able to export a caption file for use in DVDSP.

I haven't done closed captions with DVDSP in awhile, so I don't remember which file format is needed. Look in the DVDSP help, or maybe someone else will post the format needed.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Albert OConnorRe: DVDSP 4 and Closed Captioned Quicktime Problem
by on May 18, 2012 at 4:49:22 pm

Thanks, Bill, for the info. On the COW Rafael Amador posted this:

>>- Open the Prores file in QT.

- Open Properties (Cmd-J)
- Extract CC Track.
- Click the CC Track window and "Select All" + "Copy".

- Open the H264file.
- "Add to Movie".
This will embed the CC Track from one file to the other.
Works for video, audio and TC tracks.
Should work with the CC Track.
rafael<<

This is fine for extracting a CC track from a Quicktime and adding it to another Quicktime file.
But as you stated, DVDSP requires a separate file, either .scc or .cc, in order that it will author a disc with Closed Caption capability. When I extract a CC track from a Quicktime, all I get is another .mov file with no video track but it DOES have the CC track which cannot be imported into DVDSP because DVDSP won't recognize it.

Albert

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: DVDSP 4 and Closed Captioned Quicktime Problem
by on May 19, 2012 at 3:47:11 pm

This is clearly an H.264 file so DVDSP won't accept it

You need to extract the cc file sepertely and convert to somehow....never done this so cant help you

But you need to convert the file to a lossy or uncompressed file format first before you encode for DVD SP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]