Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Fuzzy Video, is there a fix?

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Shawn SpellerFuzzy Video, is there a fix?
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:51:57 pm

Here is my workflow

Lossless mov (animation setting) from After effects
Standard DVD best quality 90 min from Compressor, put up the vbr 2 pass to avg 7.5 and max 8.8
Then into Dvd studio pro, every single time and I have tryed a variety of other combinations and nothing seems to come out clear, my issue is small text so I boosted their size still the same results, is there something I can do to get clear text and overall better video quality, or am I a slave to my tools limits?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brad ElliottRe: Fuzzy Video, is there a fix?
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:58:37 pm

I wouldn't go above 8.5 for a max bit rate but that probably isn't why the text is falling apart.

Is your animation mov HD? Frame rate?

Compressor can have issues down-converting your HD to SD no matter what the data rate. It can also have issues converting 23.98 to 29.97 while it is converting to mpg. The files don't have to be 29.97 but I have had more success when they are.

I have also had success converting HD to SD in FC before I convert for DVD in Compressor. You should be able to export SD 16x9 PR422 from AE before compressing for DVD.

In my opinion the animation codec is overkill for a SD DVD deliverable. ProRes 422 should more than suffice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn SpellerRe: Fuzzy Video, is there a fix?
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:14:18 pm

Right now I am working with ntsc dv 720x 480 29.97fps and I am getting the same results as my original timeline hdv/ hdtv 1280 x 720 29.97

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: Fuzzy Video, is there a fix?
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:44:22 pm

You are kind of jumping all over the place.

What are the composition setting in AE. If you are bringing in video what are the clip settings.

Stay away from using dv or HDv for DVD intermediate files.

How long is your movie? Always use cbr if you can use higher than 6 Mbps nitrates. Faster encodes and higher quality. What font are you using.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2012 at 12:03:22 am

@michael the ptoject is basically a slide show of jpeg images and two pdf or ai files used for the intro/outro and footer. the comp im working in is hdv 720 so 1280 x 720 29.97fps. Not sure the type of text as it came to me all in one graphic

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill StephanRe: Fuzzy Video, is there a fix?
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 11:12:48 pm

Small text can be completely destroyed in MPEG-2 encoding. The macroblock structure of the picture makes the characters in small text (around 18pt or smaller) appear as unreadable blobs. The font and weight chosen for the text also affect whether the type will hold up well after DVD encoding.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 10, 2012 at 11:46:56 pm

@Bill is there a better format I could use? To my knowledge my only options are mp2 and avi. The text is part of a vector art ai file i dropped in not sure what exact kiind of text.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:06:13 pm

I found a fix, finally found a few consistent answers from other threads...... seems to be a weekly theme here. Ok how I got it to work was in compressor, turning on frame controls and changing the 'Output Fields' and 'Deinterlace' menus to "Progressive" and "Best" respectively, the selecting CBR One Pass 6.5mbps and voila! Thanks for your suggestions guys I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem in the future.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]