Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

What format do I select for footage shot on a NIkon D5000?

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sid WidmerWhat format do I select for footage shot on a NIkon D5000?
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 2:12:52 am

I am just learning FC Pro and am unsure what format to choose to configure FC to work with my video. Please help! And, thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: What format do I select for footage shot on a NIkon D5000?
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 3:06:43 am

I think the Nikon is shooting H264 quicktime files. H264 should be converted to ProRes422 before editing and edited in a matching sequence.

Final Cut uses Log & Transfer for file based conversion but I don't think it can work with Nikon footage so you will need to use MPEGStreamclip or Compressor.

Canon made a plugin for Log & Transfer so the footage can be correctly converted with timecode and reel numbers. Have a look at Shane Ross's tutorial on capturing file based which is the best workflow. Until Nikon create a suitable plugin, you will need to work around the issue. Meanwhile, backup the full card structure becasue if Nikon do make a plugin, that will be required.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: What format do I select for footage shot on a NIkon D5000?
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 3:06:49 am

If I'm correct, your camera records Motion JPEG AVI files codec. Those should most likely be transcoded to ProRes 422. However, I'm not certain if the camera comes with a plugin that makes it work with FCP's Log & Transfer function, which might handle the transcode for you. Do you know? If not, you would then have to use Apple Compressor or the free MPEG Streamclip app for transcoding.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GissingRe: What format do I select for footage shot on a NIkon D5000?
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 3:10:25 am

Just had a look and it is MJPEG AVI so no chance with L&T.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: What format do I select for footage shot on a NIkon D5000?
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 3:36:40 pm

So you'd convert it to ProRes by opening the AVIs and exporting in QT Player to QuickTime MOV ProRes or reading about making a Droplet in Compressor in your manual.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2011 at 3:50:35 pm

[Noah Kadner] "or reading about making a Droplet in Compressor in your manual."

Imagine that, free reading material in every box of FCP. What will those folks at Apple think of next.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sid WidmerRe: What format do I select for footage shot on a NIkon D5000?
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 9:10:17 pm

Wow, thanks for all the help. I found a workflow article from Nikon and downloaded the free MPEG Streamclip software so I can convert it to Apple Intermediate Codec. This grasshoppa' has much to learn. Thanks again.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46631/~/workflo...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2011 at 10:37:17 pm

Scratch that last link. I needed the Nikon2ProRes422LT compressor droplet found in the following link for FCP7.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46630/related/1

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:21:09 pm

Sorry, I am a total greenie and learning as I go here. I have converted the AVI files to Apple ProRes 22 (LT) but I still can't use Log & Transfer. Is that to be expected even though the files have been converted?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:42:36 pm

Just import the ProRes files directly into the FCP browser and edit away... Log & Transfer is for camera originals from supported cameras, not for importing media that's edit ready.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:35:22 am

Cool. I thought as much. Thanks my friend.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]