Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

How to import text-buttons on menu title layers from Boris/FCP

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Walter MialeHow to import text-buttons on menu title layers from Boris/FCP
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 7:32:17 pm

I prepared DVD menus in FCP, using Boris. Each menu has multiple type layers over a moving video background. I want the buttons to be text only. I like the Boris titler, which allows precise determination of text outlines and drop shadows, and which I find easier to work with than Photoshop.

Is there a way to make buttons from this Boris/FCP text? Can I export them to PS, and if so how? Or, better, can I get them directly into DVD Studio Pro? (or Encore, for that matter)

I'm on an iMac, running Leopard, with FCP 7 and th elatest Studio Pro, and PS CS2.

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: How to import text-buttons on menu title layers from Boris/FCP
by on Feb 14, 2010 at 6:57:58 pm

Video menu background must use a single simple highlight layer. They cannot use layered photoshop buttons- because the DVD laser can only load one such item into memory at a time. This sort of info is all in your manual in the section regarding simple vs. Photoshop layered menus.

The bottom line is- video background menus= single simple highlight layer only. Still menus= simple or photoshop multilayered buttons. Just about all Hollwood DVDs use the first type because it typically looks a lot better and functions much better.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter MialeRe: How to import text-buttons on menu title layers from Boris/FCP
by on Feb 14, 2010 at 7:24:20 pm

So for menus with video backgrounds, all text-buttons, or icons to use as buttons, must be created in DVD SP?

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: How to import text-buttons on menu title layers from Boris/FCP
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 4:26:01 am

No they are normally built in a compositing program like Motion or AE. You then build an overlay layer of a simple to or 3 solid color of the text you want to act like the buttons.

Overlays are up to four colors White, Black, Red and Blue or 4 grayscale White, 33%, 66% Black.

You can build menus in DVDSP but often quality will not be as high as if you build it outside the authoring app.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: How to import text-buttons on menu title layers from Boris/FCP
by on Feb 16, 2010 at 12:51:42 am

Or photoshop- all this is in your manual btw. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]