Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Can't import H.264 asset into DSP 4.2.1

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tara MilutisCan't import H.264 asset into DSP 4.2.1
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 3:36:01 am

Hi, I want to import my HDV 1080i FCP project into DVD Studio Pro v.4.2.1 to create a SD Disc. I exported the FCP project in Compressor using H.264 10.3mbps in the HD DVD: H.264 60 minutes folder. I was able to import the audio asset but not the video asset. Any idea why I cannot import this into DVD Studio Pro?

When I export this as MPG2 best quality and import it into DVD studio pro, formatting for SD (I have to make an SD dvd from my HD source material), the quality looks AWFUL. like a cheap camcorder.

Running out of options....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris DetjenRe: Can't import H.264 asset into DSP 4.2.1
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 4:38:19 am

You will need to down convert to SD and take the hit in picture quality. No way around that... unless you have a high-end encoder. That said Compressor does a good job with compressing HDV into SD MPEG-2. Sounds like you are on the right track. I've had good results exporting directly from a native HDV FCP timeline into Compressor using a Compressor preset (best quality 90 min). You can also export a self-contained QuickTime with the native settings from your timeline, and then drop that QT into Compressor. There are tips around the Cow for adjusting Compressor settings to eek out a bit more quality when going from HD to SD... might have to do some searching to find specifics on that.

In DVDSP make sure you start a project as a SD DVD and not an HD DVD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: Can't import H.264 asset into DSP 4.2.1
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 5:52:20 am

You made 2 mistakes.

1. You made an HD DVD encode - remember Blu Ray won the format war? - HD DVD is no longer around.

2. You exported an H.264 from your timeline...why? Export directly from your HDV timeline, like Chris suggested, and choose the correct bitrate.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tara MilutisRe: Can't import H.264 asset into DSP 4.2.1
by on Dec 25, 2009 at 3:51:16 pm

thanks Chris and Eric.

I was wondering when the conversion occurs in DVDSP. when the assets are imported or when its burned? because the project looks great after I import it into DVDSP and watch it on simulator. It's after it's burned and I watch it on my mac's DVD player that it looks so bad. Someone online said DVDSP's burning is sometimes less than par, and its better to create a disc image from DVDSP and then burn the DVD using Toast or any separate burning program. any thoughts on this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]