Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Dual-layer breakpoint issues

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jonathan CapraDual-layer breakpoint issues
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 1:14:26 am

Trying to burn a dual-layer disc. Have a project with a single MPEG2 stream that is a little over 3 hours and 6.5gig. No other data on the disc other than the menus.

When I set the breakpoint to automatic, I get "Formatting was not successful. A suitable marker could not be found in the required layer break range. See the DVD Studio Pro User's Manual for more information."

When I set the breakpoint to a specific marker, I continually get "Formatting was not successful. Layer 1 cannot exceed Layer 0 for a OTP configured disc. Please choose a suitable marker location that will support this condition."

All posts I've read on the last error simply state that the first layer must be larger than the first. But I have tried it about 5 times now with different markers at 01:21:11;15, 01:29:12;27 and 02:07:50;23. Common sense would say that one of these would have the first half of it larger than the second.

What am I doing wrong here?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alexander KallasRe: Dual-layer breakpoint issues
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 6:09:17 am

Have a look at it in the FCP time-line to get an idea of the project length.You can set a chapter marker
in there which, after transcoding, will show up in your m2v file as a chapter marker in the DVDSP track.
This is NOT a breakpoint marker but gives you the idea of where you are. Here is where you can set your break-point using DVDSP's inspector tab, usually in a transition or a fade-out.
Make sure it is a suitable layer-break that you are choosing.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter KesselringRe: Dual-layer breakpoint issues
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:22:03 am

What I alway do when I can't get a suitable layerbreak
is to make LOTS of 'invisible markers' around the middle of
my content and let DVDSP do the 'automatic trick'

(So think about a marker every 5 minutes)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jonathan CapraRe: Dual-layer breakpoint issues
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:35:23 am

So do these invisible markers still show up as chapters? How do you make them?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris DetjenRe: Dual-layer breakpoint issues
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 4:44:26 pm

Once you place a marker in your FCP timeline you make that marker a chapter marker. Not sure if it is the default keyboard bind, but hitting "M" while positioned on an existing marker brings up the marker dialog box. You can set a FCP marker to be a compression marker or chapter marker. Then on your export from FCP be sure to include chapter markers. If going from FCP directly to Compressor I believe the DVD presets automatically include the chapter markers from your timeline in the resulting MPEG stream.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Philip JohnsRe: Dual-layer breakpoint issues
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:02:42 am

Same problem here - major issues with getting the data to span across the two layers. Here's how I fixed it...

1. Put heaps of chapter markers around the centre of the video where you think the break point should be.
2. Build the project to your hard disk
3. Once it is built, click the "format" button. In here you go to the second tab, Disk/Volume and click the dropdown for Dual-Layer Break Point. You should see a list of the markers, the markers that can be used as your break point will be black, the others will be greyed out
4. Take note of these markers and you'll be able to work out the range that is OK to have a marker. Delete all the other markers you've put in and select the acceptable marker in the format menu (as described above) and burn your disk.

Worked for me!

Philip Johns

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Ilya MentorRe: Dual-layer breakpoint issues
by on Apr 29, 2011 at 11:44:52 am

Thank you, so much!!!!
I have solved the problem!!
all the best! Ilya from Russia.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trevor HiltonRe: Dual-layer breakpoint issues
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 5:45:01 am

I have to say that this is one of the most maddeningly silly faults of what is otherwise a very good program. The program is basically saying to me:

"Here, check this box and I'll work out what the optimal dual layer breakpoint is - leave it me me, that's what I do well".

Then you get the error message. And the program says:

"Nope. That's not it. I know I promised you I'd do it myself but I lied. I tell you what, why don't you try and guess where the dual layer breakpoint is? I won't help you, but I'll tell you when you get the right one".

"Nope. That's not it. Try again".

etc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex AspRe: Dual-layer breakpoint issues
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:29:33 am

DVD SP can create automatic layer break only if it can find a suitable marker, otherwise you get an error message.
Look up in the thread, there is a solution that has "invisible markers", it should work for you.
And a little history: when Apple acquired SPRUCE MAESTRO - a program that DVD SP 2.0 was based on - among other working features it had Dual-layer break indicator that let you chose the right spot in your disc to make the break. That feature almost made it into DVD SP 3.0 but pulled back prior to release to that version. And then it was buried forever.

Alex Asp/Solaris Digital Ltd.
Subtitle utilities HERE
Anti-aliasing for Highlights and Subtitles:HERE

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]