Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Sony EX-1 to SD Formatting issues with 16x9

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dorian LahnSony EX-1 to SD Formatting issues with 16x9
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:16:14 pm

I have found multiple postings about getting the best quality out of EX-1 footage when going to DVD. My question touches on that, but I am also having trouble with the formatting of my footage. I shot the footage in full HD on a Sony EX-1 and also edited the footage with the same settings in FCP. I am now trying to export to the footage to create a SD DVD. I first export the footage under a QuickTime file and make it self contained. The footage is exported in full HD resolution. I then open compressor and make an m2v file under 16x9 and 90 minute encode. I know this seems like an extra step since you can go from FCP to compressor, but for some reason my computer crashes when I do that. The footage looks great on the other end once compressor finishes. When I play it back with QuickTime in full screen it places the black bars at the bottom and at the top. However, when I import the footage to DVD studio pro 2 it seems to display in 4:3. I've adjusted the settings in the simulator and in the preferences to 16x9. It still plays back in 4:3. I noticed that the footage I imported into DVD studio pro is registering as 16x9. I created the DVD and when I tried to play it back on my DVD it played in 4:3. This is also the case when I try to play it back on my Powermac G5. I would think that if my DVD player does not support 16x9, then my Mac would still be able to play it. I've been able to do it before but only when I export under QuickTime conversion and set it to letterbox. However, the quality is not as good. I've also tried to drop the HD footage on an SD timeline and exporting but the quality is not very good either.

Anybody have any advice? I am assuming that the conversion has to be done right since FCP instead of trying to fix it in DVD studio pro.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: Sony EX-1 to SD Formatting issues with 16x9
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 6:39:22 pm

Computer screens are not 16:9 screen (at least most are not) so if you are playing a 16:9 video there will be top and bottom bars but it fills the screen left and right. If you play a 4:3 video it fills the screen top and bottom but there are left and right bars. I video that is 4:3 letterboxed will have bars all the way around. So the question is where does your video fall and does it look proportionally correct?

DVDSP2 is pretty old, cannot remember what the issue where back then, but you may or may not be having an issue.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dorian LahnRe: Sony EX-1 to SD Formatting issues with 16x9
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 8:53:47 pm

Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, my DVD studio pro is a bit old. I do have access to a newer version in the event that I need to switch. I want to be able to view the movie on a typical 4:3 screen, with black bars at the top and at the bottom. Maybe, I don't quite understand 16x9. I created a 16x9 DVD yesterday and it played back in full screen on my TV. Full screen being, no black bars anywhere but I could tell that my footage was cropped from the sides. It almost looked as though the footage was zoomed into. I tried changing the setting on the DVD player with no positive results. I don't know if my problem is generating from FCP, compressor or DVD studio. Sometimes when I export videos to quicktime, if I place the footage in full screen mode, I get the black bars at the top and bottom. Sometimes when I export and place it in full screen, it fills the entire screen with no black bars anywhere. I am trying to maintain the film presentation view with the letterbox.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 1, 2009 at 9:55:03 pm

If you are watching the video on 4:3 and it is full screen AND it looks correct, then it is set to 16x9 Pan and Scan. This is an available option but as you said you lose image left and right.

So with your 16:9 asset, you need to make sure it is set to 16:9 Letterboxed (no Pan & Scan), then on your DVD player that is hooked up to your 4:3 TV you need to set the player's prefs to TV- 4:3, Mode* - Letterbox, no idea what MODE will be listed as.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dorian LahnRe: Sony EX-1 to SD Formatting issues with 16x9
by on Sep 1, 2009 at 10:03:12 pm

So the problem is generating from DVD studio pro, not FCP or compressor right? After I export in FCP and Compressor, I am able to see the black bars at the top and bottom when playing back in Quicktime, but not in DVD Studio pro. Both in the simulator and the DVD produced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 1, 2009 at 11:35:32 pm

it is not a problem, it is your wrong setting. Most likely, since I cannot see the project I don't know but if things are looking correctly circles are round kind of thing it is the setting within DVDSP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]