Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Layered menu not working in DVD player

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Stuart BruceLayered menu not working in DVD player
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 8:03:51 am

I've made a DVDSP4 project with a layered menu, from Photoshop, pointing to each of six different video clips. The Photoshop file has normal, highlighted and selected layers for each clip.

When I simulate the disc and play it in one of my DVD players, it works fine. Up, down, right, left, enter, all work the way I'd expect.

Then on the other DVD player, the menu is 'stuck'. Clip number one is permanently selected, and up down left and right make no difference to what appears on screen.

However it appears that the buttons are *working*, it's just the display that's not working, if that makes any sense. For example, if I put the disc in, and press right-right-enter, then clip 1 is still selected on screen, but it's clip 3 that plays. And if I start again and press right-right-right-right-enter, then again the display doesn't change but clip 5 will play (which it should).

I don't know whether this is a fault in my build or in the DVD player, but this is a disc I'll be doing many copies of so I don't want to send it out if this is going to happen on lots of players.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alexander KallasRe: Layered menu not working in DVD player
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 10:46:38 am

Layered menus are outside of the DVD standard, and on some players are problematic.
Go with the standard, Overlay menus.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stuart BruceRe: Layered menu not working in DVD player
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 3:25:39 pm

I've done this now, thanks.

I hadn't realised that layered menus were so non-standard, until I found this article:
http://www.tfdvd.com/public/123.cfm
which made me realise that layered menus might look good but overlay was the way to go.

Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: Layered menu not working in DVD player
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 4:23:15 pm

there is a better way to do this, the old fashion way. It is still slow and has the same "problems" on computers. But you do it with a separate menu for each state, and then you auto-active the navigation buttons to jump to what appears to be the button above, below, left or right. This is what DVDSP is going but instead of jumping to another menu it jump to another frame of video it made of all the layer states. I would say it is this created movie file that some players go not like.

The best practice is to go back to the tried and true simple shapes of the overlays. There is a reason that you don't see too many Hollywood DVD using what you get with layered menus. The Seinfeld DVDs are probably the best know that used this method.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael LansdellRe: Layered menu not working in DVD player
by on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:01:41 am

Hi, found this whist trying to work out why a layered menu I'd made was okay on some DVD players but not on others. Anyway, I wondered if you could explain how to auto-activate the menu buttons as you describe;

"you do it with a separate menu for each state, and then you auto-active the navigation buttons to jump to what appears to be the button above, below, left or right."

I'm making a DVD menu for a county council about their children's centres, it has eight similar films on, but each one is taylored to an ethnic group and they want black and white flags as buttons that highlight by going into colour. At first it seemed easy (using the layered menu style), but when I got people to take the discs home to test about half couldn't use the menu, which isn't good!
Anyway, yours or anyones help would be greatly appreciated, so far Google hasn't helped me!

Cheers,

Michael Lansdell

Online/Offline Editor

My system:

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
5GB DDR2 RAM
512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XT
OS X 10.4.11
Final Cut Pro 6.0.4
After Effects CS4
Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme (6.6.2)

Take a gander at my personal blog:

http://www.monstersareart.blogspot.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stuart BruceRe: Layered menu not working in DVD player
by on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:42:58 pm

Unfortunately what I found, from the responses to my original post, was that in the layered menu style, all of the highlights on any menu can only have one highlight colour- for the whole page, not a different colour for each menu.

If you really want a full-colour flag to be visible on every menu item then I don't think you have a choice other than to use the more complicated DVD Studio Pro menu options, which some DVD players aren't happy with.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael LansdellRe: Layered menu not working in DVD player
by on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:51:53 am

I ended up making every possible menu page and set up DVD Studio Pro to auto load when selecting any neighbouring button. A bit complicated but the results are really nice. Many thanks to all for their help on this :o)

Michael Lansdell

Online/Offline Editor

My system:

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
5GB DDR2 RAM
512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XT
OS X 10.4.11
Final Cut Pro 6.0.4
After Effects CS4
Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme (6.6.2)

Take a gander at my personal blog:

http://www.monstersareart.co.uk

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]