Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Safet SusicHD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Nov 11, 2008 at 12:47:23 pm

HELP!

My good Creative Cow fellas...

I have a short video (20 minutes - telecine from 35mm), that was captured in 1920x1080 at 23.98fps Apple Pro Res 422. Really nice quality. :)

And now, I am in the process of exporting it using compressor and running it through DVD Studio Pro, and I have not been successful so far.

Question: What is the best quality that I can export it in (please be specific as I am new with the bitrates, muxing, and all the other for me new terms), and burn it on a DVD that eventually have a highest quality AND be able to run on a regular DVD player.

So far, I have exported it using HD DVD MPEG-2 as well as HD DVD H.264 60 minutes preset found in compressor. I created a HD project in DVD STUDIO PRO and under one of the option I chose HD DVD (not Blu Ray) and burned it on a regular DVD -. It played on my computer but not on a PC computer or a regular stand alone DVD Player. Basically, I want the best quality played right.

Thank you for your time, you make this industry move forward!!!
Best Regards!

Power Mac G5 Quad, 2.5GHz x 4, 8GB RAM, Final Cut Studio 2

Power Mac G5 Quad, 2.5GHz x 4, 8GB RAM, Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

eric pautschRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Nov 11, 2008 at 4:07:16 pm

DVDSP authors HD DVD and regular DVD. Both are different formats. HD DVD will play in HD DVD players ONLY and in your mac only. I don't like using Compressor on 2 pass encodes. Use 1 pass at around 6.8-7 mb/s.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Nov 11, 2008 at 7:20:25 pm

Yeah ultimately you'll have to make a couple of different versions. The HD-DVD option in DVDSP is IMHO largely useless because HD-DVD as a format is extinct and the DVD-R discs you can make are only playable on a Mac. So that leaves you with either you make a standard def DVD, you get Adobe Encore and encode a Blu-Ray- though this is a much less mature app than DVDSP so be aware of that going in or you create an H.264 or ProRes version at 1080p and keep as a digital file for playback on Macs and PCs only. The high-definition to disc world is still in its infancy at least on the Mac.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

T. PaytonRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Nov 14, 2008 at 5:55:34 am

Just a note about getting the highest quality from your 1080 video. It is much higher quality to do your down sampling to SD in Final Cut rather than using Compressors typical setting. First it will take forever to go from HD to SD in compressor -about twice as long as it does from a SD file to create your mpeg2 files.

I downconvert in fcp to an uncompressed anamorphic SD and the results are a very clean DVD.

Timothy Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque, NM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jerry KayRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Jan 21, 2009 at 11:18:41 pm

Just to confirm...when using DVDSP...select SDDVD in preferences rather than HDDVD. And, this is because standard dvd players are unable to play HD DVD's. Is this correct?

Thank you.

Jerry

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason MierRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Feb 12, 2009 at 8:21:57 pm

Absolutely correct!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sophia TakalRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 1:40:33 pm

How do you downconvert in FCP? I have a feature that I'm trying to burn a DVD of and for some reason this has been the hardest part of the editing process. We shot 1080i and now I have no idea how to get it onto a DVD with good quality.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:54:55 pm

Like I said above, create a progressive SD Anamorphic sequence in FCP 720x480 (uncompressed or prores will work nicely). FCP will take care of the deinterlacing. Nest your completed 1080i sequence in the SD sequence. You might consider adding a small amount of sharpening, about 20-40 will be plenty (just the regular FCP sharpen filter).

Then export as a reference and covert to MP2 in compressor.

Test this will a small section of your film first to make sure the sharpening is working as it should. It should come our very pretty and much nicer than using compressors down-convert.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:11:42 pm

Sorry I would never down-convert or deinterlace in FCP, in fact there is no reason to deinterlace in the first place.

One problem that you face going from 1080i to 480i is that there is a field swap, 1080i is Upper and 480i is Lower. If you take the 1080i into compressor and use a preset the has Lower field first it will give you an interlace problem, but simple keeping the dominance set to upper will give you a nice clean m2v. I fine tune the bitrate to get it as high as possible, always using ac3 audio.

So just export a self contained movie from FCP, "Current Settings" and encode in Compressor as stated above. But you should do a short test of my way or Tim's way. The best way is what works and gives you the results YOU like.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anna AntwortRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 2:54:35 pm

fellow hd filmmakers

I have similar but slightly different question:

my shortfilm project (8min) is shot in HDV 720p (720x1280 progressive)
and I want to make a DVD with the best possible quality.

As HD DVD only works on MAC, I understood I need to make SD Project in DVDSP. So now I exported the video in FCP with ProRes (HQ), downconverting it into 720x576 (PAL) anamorphotic.
Is this really the only/ best way to go?

Why shoot in HDV in the first place when I then have to show it in DV?
(the festivals always ask for a DVD)?
How can I give them my film in the highest possible quality?
My HD Prores File is 5,3 GB so I cannot even burn a Data DVD.
Thanks
Anna

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Allen RoulstonRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:45:11 pm

Hello Anna,

did you ever get an answer to your question or determine the best approach on your own?

I am working on the same puzzle.

I want to take HDV and down convert to SD for use in burning to a DVD.
A series of interviews, each one a separate chapter on the DVD.

I'm creating the DVD using DVD Studio Pro, and when I import the resource and hook it up to the DVD menu, the simulator plays the video clips, but the aspect ration is distorted. Distorted even after creating an NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic output file for use in the DVD. The NTSC file looks great until it is within DVD Studio.

Very puzzled.

Any and all helpful comments will be appreciated.

~ Allen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Celeste Silsby MannerudRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Aug 19, 2012 at 12:49:07 am

T. Payton...
What's your process for down sampling in FCP? Do you do it before or after you edit the footage?

I shoot theatrical performances and have been having some motion artifacts issues since I transitioned from shooting with my huge old SD Panasonic to the Canon 5d Mark II. The color and saturation are phenomenal now after the switch, and when I have shot for larger projects with an independent editor to whom the source footage is sent, they always remark how great my footage looks, even for broadcast applications. But I can't seem to get the same results myself when I do my own post, though I have made improvements in my process.

By adjusting my bitrates and GOP I have improved most of my motion artifact problems with the downsampling from the source HD footage to an SD mpeg2 file after running through Compressor and burning to a disc with DVD Studio Pro. The footage looks perfect in FCP but then has pixelation issues when viewed in a dvd player, especially on a full 2-hr production where I have to drop the bit rate to 5. I use one pass CBR, "best" motion estimation all around, and IP for my GOP, which made a tremendous improvement, especially when I can keep my bitrate between 7-8. But in bright scenes where I have had to lower the bit rate to accommodate the performance's length, there is still more pixelation than I would like (almost a pulsing effect), so I am experimenting now with switching to DL-dvds to allow me to keep the bit rate higher for long productions but am interested in any other processes I can use to improve my final product.

I'm at the point where I am starting to think perhaps I need to shoot and edit the footage myself and then send it off to a dvd authoring company for the final product, but since most of my clients are small, not-for-profit groups with little budget, justifying the additional expense of that is hard to do. So any advice you can offer that might improve my process is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Celeste

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 19, 2012 at 9:38:24 pm

Celeste,

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. However my gut is that if things look good in FCP, but not in your resulting MPEG2 that much of the issue could be corrected with a cleaner downsampling. I didn't clearly understand from your post if you are downsampling in FCP or in Compressor. If compressor are you using the frame controls? Here is a bit about them.

http://help.apple.com/compressor/mac/4.0/en/compressor/usermanual/#chapter=...

Frame Controls are not the speediest thing ever, but when they work they work very well.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Celeste MannerudRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 4:21:19 am

I am downsampling in Compressor, and yes, I use the frame controls. I edit all my HD footage in FCP, then select the sequence and "send to" compressor. Encoder settings: Format is NTSC, Aspect 16x9, Field dominance is "progressive", Mode is "One pas CBR", Motion Est is "best", GOP is "IP". Frame controls: Resize is "Best", Output is "progressive", Deinterlace is "best" (though not sure if this is necessary since my camera shoots 1080p), Adaptive details is checked, Anti-alias and Details level are "0", and Rate conversion is "best".

Processing time is not usually an issue for me, and I never have the need to continue editing in FCP while Compressor is running. So I have tried to set everything to the best possible settings I can and then adjust the bit rate to fit on the disc. I just can't seem to get rid of all the artifacts.

The oddest part is that the motion artifacts are not consistent throughout the piece and seem to be most prevalent in the brighter scenes. But after re-submitting the same show a few times, they are consistently worst in the same scene of the show, regardless of how I have adjusted the image. My husband said it looks like the square pixels of mpeg files when he looked at it, but it comes and goes in a pulsing manner, sort of like the way the focus fluctuates in/out if left on auto to shoot a theatre show. It's especially odd in this current project since the scene the artifacts are the most prevalent is the one in which the performers are seated the entire time and are only singing - the scenes where they're dancing all over in contrasty side lighting are crisp and great.

My clients haven't complained about it in any of the projects I send out, but it's very annoying that the final product isn't as clean as my source footage. Especially since I can export the edited sequence to an H.264 file and dump it on my Boxee to watch through the same TV as my dvd player uses and have a commercial movie quality product. But the same show on the dvd doesn't look anywhere near as well.

So the I know the problem is somewhere in my compression of the edited HD footage to an SD mpeg2. So any advice I can get to fix this is appreciated, or maybe the honest answer is I my only option to get the quality I want is using a dvd authoring house. Either way, thanks for your time and advice...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: HD/SD vs DVD Studio Pro.
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 1:13:58 pm

GOP should be IPB. Never change that. GOP length should always be 12 for 24fps footage and 15 for 30.

Do a test with a problem section and report back.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]