Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

DVDSP sees project as too big.

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ronald ThomasDVDSP sees project as too big.
by on Aug 25, 2008 at 6:43:13 pm

I have a project that's 1 hour and 40 minutes long. I compressed it to an mpeg-2 and got a file that's 4.19 GB with an AC3 for the audio of 137.4 MB. When I import that into DVDSP and create tracks with it DVDSP turns that all into 4.8 GB and the resulting VideoTS is too big for a 4.7GB dvd. Am I doing something wrong? This project should fit easily onto a regular DVD - but it's not. Do I need to compress the video more - or the audio? If so what's the best way to do that.

Right now I'm doing a 2 pass VBR with a max bps of 6. The audio is Dolby, 2 channel, 192 kbps.

I'm working with compressor 3.0.3.

RJ Thomas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: DVDSP sees project as too big.
by on Aug 25, 2008 at 7:07:25 pm

[Ronald Thomas] "create tracks with it DVDSP"

Are using the video more than once?

Also it is the average bitrate that effects the file size and not the max. for 100 minutes with ac3 audio the average should be 5.8 Mbps.

Also are you using motion menus w. audio?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ronald ThomasRe: DVDSP sees project as too big.
by on Aug 25, 2008 at 7:48:40 pm

Using the video once. The Average bit rate is 5.0 and no motion menus. In fact I tried it in a new project, but nothing on the menu but two buttons.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 25, 2008 at 7:58:53 pm

The only other thing I can think of that could increase the project size is if the audio was something other than ac3, If it was something like aac it would be changed to PCM. I know you said the audio was ac3 but you may want to double check that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric PautschRe: DVDSP sees project as too big.
by on Aug 25, 2008 at 8:01:47 pm

DVD-5, holds around 4 700 000 000 bytes and that is 4.37 computer GB where 1 kbyte is 1024 bytes* . DVD+R/DVD+RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW supports this format. Also called Single Sided Single Layered. This is the most common DVD Media, often called 4.7 GB Media.

You need to reencode your MPEG to a smaller size. This is a perfect example why bit budgeting is so important before you encode.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 25, 2008 at 8:10:30 pm

I hate the computer math, but it seemed that what he was listing should fit. I get on my bit calc that 100 minutes of video w/ ac3 audio could be encoded with a 5.8 Mbps average.

The one thing I would try it to watch the meter inside DVDSP and audio the video by itself, what does the meter say, then add the audio and what is the total.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric PautschRe: DVDSP sees project as too big.
by on Aug 25, 2008 at 8:18:20 pm

Yeah...I think your right. Wanna bet Ron has a motion menu? :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 25, 2008 at 8:25:55 pm

You can bet, but you would lose. No motion menus. Not even a background image. I'll try it without the audio and see what happens.

Thanks.

RJ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 25, 2008 at 8:51:28 pm

So I laid in the video with no audio and the meter goes down to 4.6 GB - with the audio it goes up to 4.8 GB. I'm trying to recompress everything now to make it a little smaller. What's odd is the file size for the video - at least what my computer tells me, is 4.19 GB. So maybe that is just a bit too much.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 25, 2008 at 9:25:40 pm

Well then it is the math thing that Eric was talking about.

I know One Pass VBR are not as accurite as 2 pass VBR or CBRs. But there is no reason 1 hour and 40 minutes with an average of 5 Mbps would not fit with room to spare. I would personally try to CBR at 5.7 Mbps instead of a VBR.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christian BartschRe: DVDSP sees project as too big.
by on Sep 3, 2008 at 2:01:14 pm

Well could it be that your video simply is too big. I assume you are running into problems with GB and GiB here. A single layer DVD can hold as much as 4.3 GiB in reference to what your computer displays in the finder. The 4.7 refer to counting with a base of 1000, not 1024... So 4.3 GiB equal 4.7 GB.

If I am not wrong you simply have to lower the bitrate for the video a bit...

Best
Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

vaishali sinhaRe: DVDSP sees project as too big.
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:36:15 pm

I'm coming across the same problem (file too large for a single layer DVD)...since I'm short on time I'm using a double layer DVD+R. Is this compatible with most DVD players (in the US)?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]