Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Making NTSC dvd from PAL content

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
steve teakMaking NTSC dvd from PAL content
by on Nov 9, 2007 at 11:53:14 am

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the exact forum for this but I'm sure some will be able to help here.

We are making a DVD for handout in USA.. we are in UK..so normally do everything PAL.

I have content, that has been made in FCP in PAL and making DVD with DVDSP.

1. Can folks in US read Pal DVD's or will that just be a headache for people.

2. If I make a NTSC DVD will it adjust my PAL mpeg2s for the content? and will this play back fine.
I've tried making NTSC dvds before and they dont appear to be any different, do I have to change the region of my burner first?

Any help would be great. I'll cropp post this DVDSP forum too.

Cheers!
Steveo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JeffGRe: Making NTSC dvd from PAL content
by on Nov 9, 2007 at 12:43:32 pm

Steveo,

1) It may read, but probably won't play back on American TVs. While european tvs play PAL and NTSC (if they were made in the last 10 years or so), American TVs + DVD players don't. Computer DVD players don't care.

2) No - this will still be, technically a PAL DVD. Regionalization only counts *if* you actually set the region (keep your DVD set to all zones instead.)

What you really need to do, is use compressor as a format converter.

Assuming this is DV< Go back to the original files, and use a DV NTSC setting. Then make your MPEGS. It will take *time*

Technically you could do both of those in one step (but it will take much much longer - take a look in the Compressor manual about 'chaining')

Best,

Jeff G
Principal Instructor
Future Media Concepts

FMCTraining.com
Editorsretreat.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

msacciRe: Making NTSC dvd from PAL content
by on Nov 9, 2007 at 8:26:40 pm

[steve teak] "1. Can folks in US read Pal DVD's or will that just be a headache for people. "

Computers can read PAL DVDs with no problem but for players/TV it would be a fraction of a percent that have ability to play PAL.

DVDSP does not convert PAL into NTSC. You would need to convert all your assets into NTSC before you started a DVDSP NTSC project. Look at nattress.com for software to do it.
http://www.nattress.com/Products/standardsconversion/standardsconversion.ht...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance TrimingtonRe: Making NTSC dvd from PAL content
by on Jan 9, 2008 at 7:49:21 am

which workflow do you use to convert final cut movies from timeline then to nattress to DVD SPro?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]