Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

5.1 mix and Stereo mix on same dvd

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Joseph Murray5.1 mix and Stereo mix on same dvd
by on Sep 27, 2007 at 1:06:45 pm

I have finished editing a 100 min. concert film. The final audio has been provided to me from the audio engineer in 2 versions, a stereo Aiff mix and a Dolby 5.1 6 channel. How do I import these for mastering in DVD SP? Are there any special considerations as to audio track organization and order? Also is there a conventional method for setting the preferred audio; for instance would the 5.1 mix be the main mix? Is there a menu selection for choosing which audio the viewer wants to hear? I know this is probably basic stuff but I've searched around and found some contradicting info. Thanks.

Joe Murray
DGA Dir./IA600 DP
http://www.boxerfilms.net/boxer.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

msacciRe: 5.1 mix and Stereo mix on same dvd
by on Sep 27, 2007 at 5:52:21 pm

There is no set "use this over that as the default" I have seen and done it both ways. There is normally a Audio set up page that a user can choose which ever they want.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph MurrayRe: 5.1 mix and Stereo mix on same dvd
by on Sep 28, 2007 at 11:35:16 am

Thanks much for responding. Would you mind elaborating a bit on the workflow setup in DVD SP to create the audio select button for the viewer? Any hints or pitfalls to avoid in setting up the master dvd? I was thinking of 2 layer disk with 8mbs CBR. 2 audio tracks, 1 Aiff Stereo and 1 5.1. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Leigh JewellRe: 5.1 mix and Stereo mix on same dvd
by on Sep 28, 2007 at 5:02:09 pm

I don't know the specifics for DVDSP, but I can tell you a couple of things. Generally, I'll put the 5.1 track on the first track. Mostly, because I think that more people have a 5.1 setup than those that don't. You should be fine with the 8mbs CBR if you are putting it on a dual-layer disc. You might want to consider going to 7mps, though, to play it safe and make sure that the combined video and 5.1 audio doesn't cause any spikes.
Do NOT use the AIFF audio on your DVD - otherwise known as PCM audio. Put all the audio through Compressor to make AC3 files. The 5.1 will need to be at 448, but the stereo audio can be at 192.

Leigh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 28, 2007 at 5:36:36 pm

This is not correct.

CBR 8 Mbps is way too high. If this is a concert and has been mixed by a professional they may really want PCM audio for the stereo track. But they will need to go to a DVD9 to keep the video quality up. Music is the one reason that I consider keeping PCM (Aiff) audio, especially when it is produced professionally.

If you can do a DVD9 then set your video bitrate to CBR no higher then 6.5 Mbps. This will give you a total of about 8.5 Mbps (video plus the 2 audio streams) which gives you a safety zone in case there is a spike in the encode. Video (if source is good) will look really good.

If they want to stay with a DVD5 then do encode the stereo to an ac3 format at .192 Mbps and drop your video to 5.2Mbps. When doing a concert video keeping the DVD to a single layer is the only reason I would not use PCM audio.

Either way compress your video before bringing it into DVDSP

In you original post it sounded like the 5.1 was already encoded as an ac3 (Dolby Digital) so you just need to drop that into DVDSP. The same would be true if you use PCM audio, you just drop in the Aiff file.

As far a step by step process it is really laid out in the manual as well as the tutorial. Take a look and then if you have a specific question go ahead and ask. This really is simple and you just use the set stream in the inspector tab. No scripting needed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Leigh JewellRe: 5.1 mix and Stereo mix on same dvd
by on Sep 28, 2007 at 5:45:07 pm

Not trying to get into an argument with you, and there are definitely times to do PCM audio such as if the music is really important. However, a lot of the times, it just causes problems. Particularly with spiking. I can't tell you how many posts I've read in different forums where they used PCM audio and had playback problems. If you are going to use PCM audio, then you will need to lower the video data rate.
7mps with AC3 audio is just fine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 28, 2007 at 6:07:27 pm

Isn't that exactly what I said. This IS a music DVD, I did say this IS the only thing I consider using PCM. I did tell him to lower the bitrate to account for spikes.

Also playback problems are mostly with burned DVD-R and not replicated disc. But even with replicated projects I recommend ac3 UNLESS it is a concert with professionally mixed audio.

Note, my comments are not theory but practice, if that holds any water.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph MurrayRe: 5.1 mix and Stereo mix on same dvd
by on Sep 28, 2007 at 7:42:43 pm

Thanks for all the good advice. Soem more info ion te project if it helps dictate a mastering approach. Yes, this is a concert DVD of Grammy winner Dave Alvin and the Guilty Man. The audio was recorded and mixed by Grammy winner Mark Linnett. Stereo PCM was suggested for the stereo mix. The vid is a combo of DVX and SDX 900 cams. The DVX wasn't the best choice but budget demanded it be used. I've cc and noise reduced and all in all it looks pretty good.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]