Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
westmidwestWhy do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Aug 24, 2007 at 6:53:21 am

Hi all,

Doing a project that requires closed captioning. I am using .scc files and importing them into DVD Studio Pro. Making sure that starting timecode on the .scc files matches starting timecode of the video asset. Seems to be working well - my test DVDs are playing the captions in DVD Player on our Macs. It also plays on one of our TVs (although the CC text flashes as each line appears, but I think that's just this particular TV).

I can't seem to get the closed captions to work on any other TV other than that one though. Is it purely a function of the televisions I'm trying? Even the ones that have CC buttons on the remotes don't seem to want to play the closed captions.

If CC works on one TV and works on our Macs, then the DVD has closed captions properly built in...Right? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks a lot...

-J

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

msacciRe: Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Aug 24, 2007 at 7:08:21 pm

I remember having a problem a while back similar to this. There are two types of CC, Roll On or Pop On. If I remember correctly the Roll On had problems but the Pop On worked fine. Find out which one you have a see if the place could make you the opposite and test that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

novacaineRe: Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Aug 24, 2007 at 7:15:31 pm

Hi msacci,
I just started a similar project with closed captioning. Let me know what your test results are also. Sorry can't offer any advice yet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kerry BrownRe: Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:31:49 pm

DVD Closed Captions playback are a function of the player not the TV.

KB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

msacciRe: Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:36:37 pm

They are a function of both, Subtitles are a function of just the DVD/player but CC has to be turned on and decoded by the TV.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kerry BrownRe: Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:35:56 pm

I stand corrected. "Closed Caption Capabilities
Closed captions provide not only dialogue text, but also descriptions of other sounds
that are part of a scene (such as a phone ringing or a dog barking). They are intended
to enhance the viewing experience for deaf and hearing-impaired viewers.
To view closed captions, you must have a suitable decoder

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

westmidwestRe: Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:48:47 pm

So if it's a function of the DVD player and the TV, then I shouldn't have to worry right? The captions play on my Mac in DVD Player, and on one TV/DVD player I have here. I have met my legal requirement to provide closed captions, and it should be up to the end user to have compatible equipment.

Does anyone agree or disagree?

(Also, how do I know which equipment works and which doesn't? Should all new DVD players play embedded closed captions on a disc?)

Thanks for your thoughts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

westmidwestRe: Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:56:02 pm

...I mean, should all new TVs be able to decode and play closed captions that are embedded in a DVD?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:04:49 pm

Not sure I would make that leap. If done correctly most TVs/DVD players are CC compatible. I just know that when authoring the one job that required them I had problems with one method and by using the other everything worked fine. I believe the good type of CC was pop on (these is more like a subtitle) Since the client was requiring and provide the file I just made them give the good method that worked with DVDSP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:54:01 am

Do you remember what file type was the "good" type for you? You said the pop-on worked but the roll-on didn't. What kind of files were you receiving for your captions? I was told to use .scc files, and that's what I've been using. And again, it won't work on most TVs but plays fine on my Mac.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

novacaineRe: Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Aug 26, 2007 at 1:14:25 am

I just received a .m2v file with an .scc file. I followed the DSP manual which is straight forward. The CC encoder who sent the file sent me a roll-on formatted .scc so oddly enough based on the thread, it works fine on a DVD player but not on my Mac. Yes, closed captions is set on. Does anyone know if Apple does or doesn't support .scc files in roll-on format? Has anyone had success using the roll-on .scc format?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2007 at 5:30:43 pm

Any success troubleshooting your .scc file on your program? My DVD player on my G5 is not recognizing CC after I burn to disc. Works fine on my Philips 3400 DVD Player/Recorder when I play back to television. It is the roll-in type closed captions.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2007 at 5:36:29 pm

The .scc closed captions behave properly on a Windows Media Player on XP windows.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2007 at 4:39:23 am

msacci was correct. I found documentation that concludes that the Apple DVD Player does not support roll-in closed captioning and many DVD players. My recommendation would also be to format CC as pop ups.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2007 at 5:11:45 pm

Thanks for the input novocaine. So...just to clarify, BOTH roll-up and pop-on closed captions are .scc files right? These are two different types of .scc files?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2007 at 5:36:14 pm

Correct. From what I was told and read online about different formats for closed captions, roll-in's are most common on television for serials, soaps, where there is lots of ongoing dialogue. Pop up's are more like subtitles. Both can be saved as .scc format for easy application in Line 21 in DVD Studio Pro. The procedure is quite simple.

I found that I was able to play the closed caption on the new Windows Media Player that is updated with the right DVD decoder plug-ins on a PC, not on earlier versions of WMP. The CC people that responded to this issue stated if roll-in's don't work on the computer, pop-ups wouldn't also. I would disagree with this statement, and please verify if anyone knows otherwise. I'm not an expert in closed captioning by any means.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2007 at 5:38:34 pm

Not sure what I've been working with so far, either roll-on or pop-on. I do know that they pop on to my Mac, yet they seem to roll on to to the one TV I've got them to work on...but the words flash on and off; very strange, but i think that's the TV. I tried three different DVD players on the one TV that works, and the captions work in the same way with each. But this is the only TV I've had success with so far.

I'm confused. Asking for both roll-on and pop-on .scc files from our caption company to test each type. Wisdom anyone?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2007 at 5:57:36 pm

Sounds like pop ups from what you describe. Roll in on the television rolls in from the left and scrolls down. Do post your results as I'm in the middle of addressing this also.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2007 at 9:08:43 pm

Yeah, you're right i think i have pop-ons.

And I WAS just able to get them to work on a second TV, which i'm excited about. And I think my problem is in the .scc files, because on both TVs the captions pop-on, but they just keep flashing (i.e. the text will pop-on, then disappear quickly and the same text pops on again, and each line keeps doing this...just keeps flashing).

So both TVs played my captions like this. I'm asking my caption company for both roll-on and pop-on .scc files and I'll test them both. I thought I'd read that other people had trouble with the roll-ons, and that the pop-ons were the good files. Do I have that right? Well my pop-ons don't seem to be very good (though they play fine on a Mac).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 28, 2007 at 1:50:34 am

I received roll-on and pop-on .scc files from my caption company. Both are working on TVs (though roll-on didn't work on my Mac, like it was stated earlier).

However, they are both blinking the entire time. The pop-on pops on but it blinks constantly. The roll-on rolls on, but it too blinks constantly.

I've had same results on different TVs, with different DVD players, burning discs with both Studio Pro and with Toast, and also using different types of DVDs (some apparently better quality than others).

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the .scc files I'm getting. Has anyone seen this before? Closed captions constantly blinking while they either pop on or roll on??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul FiliatreaultRe: Why do Closed Captions work (using .scc files) on some, but not most, TVs?
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:05:49 pm

I hope I get a response since this post is three years old. I am having the same problem of blinking captions no matter what player or TV I use to view the DVD. However, when I play the DVD in my iMac or on PC through Windows Media Player, the captions play properly without any blinking. This is the first time I've ever seen something like this. I work at a deaf university, and we produce captioned DVDs via the authoring tool method of adding Line 21. I've authored DVDs in the past with .scc files and have never seen this before. By the way, I tried using a .cc file in DVD Studio Pro, and same problem. I also got the same result using a .scc file in Adobe Encore. Was a resolution ever reached?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]