Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

PAL Assetts into an NTSC disc problem

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Terry FlaxtonPAL Assetts into an NTSC disc problem
by on Apr 17, 2006 at 11:51:56 am

I'm trying to burn an NTSC Disc. I'm in England and all my video files were originally PAL so I imported them into Final Cut and re-exported them as 29.97 NTSC, then imported them into an NTSC DVD Studio Pro Project. I have tried this technique in the past and it has worked. I've tried burning thisnew disc about 5 times now on two different machines and keep getting the same message: "The recording device reported the media error: Write error. (0x0C, 0x00.) ". Any ideas what this means and what I can do to sort this out ?

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vincent RiceRe: PAL Assetts into an NTSC disc problem
by on Apr 17, 2006 at 5:24:11 pm

I doubt very much that it worked before; if it did it looked like shit. Why on earth do people think standards conversion is a trivial thing? At the very least you need to convert your assets using Graham Nattrass's filters for FCP. If you are serious about the quality of your work then I would suggest conversion via an Alchemy suite in Soho (I use Dubbs)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terry FlaxtonRe: PAL Assetts into an NTSC disc problem
by on Apr 17, 2006 at 11:02:29 pm

Well Vince it really did work and I recently took the result to NY and LA to some fairly prestigious companies who were positive about what they realised was good photography and image making before the godawful compression we all have to live with with this medium - so given that if you compare DVD quality to the original that's already looking at shit (using your terminology) - in fact using any compressed medium is total rubbish if you look at a filmstream output from a Viper properly handled, or 65mm before it's been messed around with - so given that we're just all doing our best down here in the murky swamp of compression my question still stands for anyone who has something constructive to say about the problem of simple conversion from Pal to NTSC on final Cut and DVD Studio Pro.

So here's my original post again which was actually about writing a disc not standards conversion:

I'm trying to burn an NTSC Disc. I'm in England and all my video files were originally PAL so I imported them into Final Cut and re-exported them as 29.97 NTSC, then imported them into an NTSC DVD Studio Pro Project. I have tried this technique in the past and it has worked. I've tried burning thisnew disc about 5 times now on two different machines and keep getting the same message: "The recording device reported the media error: Write error. (0x0C, 0x00.) ". Any ideas what this means and what I can do to sort this out ?

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John PaleRe: PAL Assetts into an NTSC disc problem
by on Apr 18, 2006 at 4:25:34 am

Though Terry expressed his views badly, he was essentially correct. If you got things to work using the method you described, then you can count yourself as lucky. DVDSP and FCP have no built in ability to do Standards Conversion and the resulting files from trying it the way you did will often be wonky in field order, frame rate or frame size (though I will admit, occasionally you can get acceptable results).

You can use Compressor 2 to do the conversion, if you dont wish to use a hardware converer or the Nattress plug in.

You might also try to just make a new video track in DVD SP and move your assets into it (I have also seen a corrupt video track) give the same error message.

Good Luck.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 18, 2006 at 3:26:39 pm

John - I did the Compressor conversion and still no-go - same error message.

What I did succeed in doing however was use toast on the first set of Vobs I produced through Final Cut and DVDstudio pro and I managed to burn an NTSC DVD but the first play element didn't work. So if you press menu or title then the disc begins...

My training on camera and with cideo stuff tells me that if it works one way (ie toast) then it's not the conversion that's the problem. There's something between dvdstudio pro and the burner perhaps not talking properly ? Or something in the conversion from ntsc video files to vobs - here I'm way out of my inmformation zone so apologies for talking rubbish if that's the case...

I haven't burnt the compressor version with toast yet but I'll try that.

Thanks, Terry Flaxton

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron LindeboomRe: PAL Assetts into an NTSC disc problem
by on Apr 18, 2006 at 3:18:03 am

Vincent,

Since you like to slap people around and act like a jerk, you are going to receive one last warning before I close your account and send you packing...

Try this kind of stunt again and you are history, mon ami.

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 18, 2006 at 11:57:38 am

OK guys - I got the message - my faith in all things software is obviously a bit polyannaish. So, to eat a bit of humble pie, I see that Vincent is right in terms of criticising me for expecting too much from what is essentially cheap kit (though of course a lot of people have to sweat long and hard to get this kind of stuff together if it isn't served up on a plate by working in a facility) and thanks to John for a Gentle slap and yes I'll try compressor and if that don't work I'll go get standards converted. Last point - as a DP I've had loads of stuff go through the route described - but then other people were paying and here, as I'm trying to learn some post production areas to inform my photography, it's all down to what kit I can get together. Thanks again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]