Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

help with 16:9 pan-scan

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
fuabondhelp with 16:9 pan-scan
by on Mar 29, 2006 at 5:50:09 pm

Hi everybody,
I am making a DVD that was filmed in 16:9 and I want to know what pan-scan is? Should I select this option? what do you use it for?
please let me know anyone
thanks
Felipe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: help with 16:9 pan-scan
by on Mar 29, 2006 at 6:51:57 pm

Set for 16:9 letterbox. Pan scan is not good.

Noah

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

fuabondRe: help with 16:9 pan-scan
by on Mar 29, 2006 at 8:33:39 pm

Noah,
Thanks a lot. When and why would one use pan-scan
Felipe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Leigh ThomasRe: help with 16:9 pan-scan
by on Mar 31, 2006 at 6:00:14 pm

When you see movies sold as Full-Frame, that is a movie that is Pan and Scan. I have never really understood it because you don't get to see all of the sceen as it was shot, but some people don't like the letterbox bars at the top and don't know what they are missing. Hollywood movies that are shown on regular TV are generally in the Pan and Scan mode (Full Frame.)
Technically, if you were given the parameters, you could import the numbers for the Pan and Scan and make your movie for Full Screen as well using the same video.
This is never done even by big name Hollywood Studios. If one of your client's ever wants a Full-Frame movie, they need to go into an edit bay and create a Pan and Scan Master.
Sometimes the action would get cut off if you simply extracted the center of a 16x9 movie, so, in the edit bay, they digitally add a fake camera pan over to keep the action centered.

Basically, if you are authoring a DVD of a 16x9 movie, don't ever let the attributes be Pan and Scan or Letterbox. Always choose Letterbox only! If you don't change this, if the person watching the movie, has their DVD player setup for Pan and Scan, they will in fact watch the movie in a Full Frame mode, but the DVD player will choose how. I believe that the DVD player will usually just keep the upper left hand corner in place and crop from there. It certainly won't do any "panning."

This was probably more information than you wanted but hopefully, it helped.

Leigh Thomas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]