Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

problems removing .layout and VOB_DATA.LAY files

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kearney Buskirkproblems removing .layout and VOB_DATA.LAY files
by on Jan 25, 2006 at 7:46:41 pm

Hi Folks

My problem: if the .layout and VOB_DATA.LAY files are removed from the VIDEO_TS folder that DVDSP writes, and that file is burned with OS 10.4.4 Finder, that DVD only plays in OS 10's DVD Player but not in my set-top player or my Windows laptop. I also tried re-naming the folder that encloses the Video_TS folder in all caps and less than 8 characters, which made no difference.

What am I not understanding?

What difference would using Toast make?

Kearney Buskirk

DVD Director/Designer
LightThruMedia

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

sacciRe: problems removing .layout and VOB_DATA.LAY files
by on Jan 25, 2006 at 8:47:34 pm

I would never use the finder to burn DVDs, doesn't make sense to me, slowest method possible. Why not burn them in DVDSP and it removes them on formatting.

The new Toast automatically removes them when you drag the Video_TS folder in. You can get Toast for $69 now, well worth the price. I feel it is a must have program for any professional in this business.

I probably burn 50-100 DVDs (1-2 offs) every month. I only use Maxell 8X DVDs and I can count on 1 hand the number of bad disc that I have had in the past year. I burn more in DVDSP but use Toast on a regular basis also.

BTW - If the Video_TS is not at the root level on the disc (not in another folder) is will not work on DVD players.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ArniepixRe: problems removing .layout and VOB_DATA.LAY files
by on Jan 26, 2006 at 5:13:02 pm

[sacci] "The new Toast automatically removes them when you drag the Video_TS folder in. You can get Toast for $69 now, well worth the price. I feel it is a must have program for any professional in this business."

Not only will Toast burn your DVDs, you can also use it to burn data disks for backing up & archiving of your projects. Or to make windows or unix/linux compatible disks to send files to clients or other vendors using non-mac systems.

Arnie

http://www.arniepix.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

AlexanderRe: problems removing .layout and VOB_DATA.LAY files
by on Jan 27, 2006 at 1:33:27 am

Kearny,
You also need an AUDIO_TS folder for most set-top players to play correctly, even though it has no contents. The OSX finder does not know this, and the Mac's DVD player does not need it to play the video_ts file.
Toast 7 will create this automatically if you drag in the VIDEO_TS folder, prior to burning, AND remove the unwanted folders. It's a MUST HAVE.
Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]