Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Compressor useless

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
MpictsCompressor useless
by on Jan 9, 2006 at 7:24:30 pm

I've recently upgraded to the the latest version of Tiger OS and installed the FCP Studio suite upgrades. Big mistake. All of the apps except FCP and Motion are now flakey. Apack is gone completely. But, Compressor is the worst offender. Render times are so long that the product is unuseable for all but the shortest productions.

I'm currently wrestling with a 90 min encode from a FCP timeline. I've followed suggestions found here in earlier postings and cancelled the estimated 99 HOUR RENDER (2 pass VBR) and begun a 1 pass VBR attempt. Now, approaching hour 24, it appears stuck with an estimated 6 hours remaining. The encode has been going in short bursts punctuated by long frozen spells for the past 12 hours. Prior to that, it was steady but processing at glacial speed. I'm also concerned that I can't see a partial file in the designated destination folder. A search for m2v files turns up nothing. I'm not certain that I'm actually encoding anything.

I've re-installed the app(s) several times, the OS once, downloaded all relevant updates from Apple, repaired disk permissions, etc, etc. System is dual 2GHz G5 with 4GB ram and Xserve RAID. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

RamenDemonRe: Compressor useless
by on Jan 9, 2006 at 9:24:52 pm

Are you encoding to the same drive as the quick time file? I found that by encoding to a seperate drive it cuts the time in half.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

MpictsRe: Compressor useless
by on Jan 9, 2006 at 10:33:44 pm

I am, in fact, sending the file back to the same RAID the original is on. I wouldn't think that it would matter using since I'm an Xserve with a zippy fiber channel connection. If this file ever finishes cooking (now 28 hours and counting) I'll try your suggestion to see if there is a difference.

Thanks,

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

RamenDemonRe: Compressor useless
by on Jan 9, 2006 at 10:43:25 pm

I'm not sure what your settings are, but if you just do a one pass vbr is takes less time also

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 9, 2006 at 11:17:19 pm

The 2 pass vbr attempt ran from Friday night until Sunday AM completing about 40% before I stopped the madness. The current 1 pass vbr attempt has now completed 84% in 28 hours. There has to be something wrong here. People far and wide would be screaming if the software was really this bad.

Once again, suggestions are appreciated.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: Compressor useless
by on Jan 10, 2006 at 5:53:39 am

Chris,

There definitely has to be something wrong with your Mac or its peripherals. I have FC Studio running on a 2.7 G5 and do not have a problem with the huge encoding times you're experiencing. Granted, the 2.7 G5 may be a bit faster but in the grand scheme of things the difference between our two machines shouldn't amount to all that much. You already have more RAM than I do. I just encoded an 80 min. DV NTSC Quicktime movie to MPEG2 using Compressor 2 and it took less than 3.5 hours @ 2pass VBR high quality. The source file was even on the same LaCie firewire drive that I encoded the .m2v file to.

The following suggestions go from easiest to more time consuming and expensive. Since you've tried so many uninstall and reinstalls of your software with no change I would first do some housecleaning with progams like Mac Janitor or the shareware program Cocktail. I could go into why you need to run programs like these on a regular basis but that's another phone call. Run DiskWarrior to rebuild hard drive directories. Do a hardware test of your Mac, including testing the RAM for any problems there. Test your transfer rates for all drives including the startup drive. Your Xserve RAID should have great transfer rates and doing a test with something like XBench will remove all doubt. Lastly, try creating a new startup drive (not the one you're using now) with all the apps included and see if it makes a difference. You have the ability to install another internal drive in your Mac if you haven't sone so already. You could use that one as another startup drive.

In case you haven't tried yet, use your second internal drive as a destination for your encoding, just to see if the times drop down to a more normal rate. Even your startup drive would do in a pinch for a short test.

BTW, A.Pack is no longer shipping with the latest version of Compressor. Audio compression is now done within the Compressor app. It's all in the manual.

- Don

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 10, 2006 at 3:21:05 pm

Don,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've run Disk Warrior but will try your other cleanup suggestions as well. When I came in this morning, Batch Monitor indicated that my m2v encode was successfully completed after 29.5 hours. The 1 pass file wasn't as pretty as I'd like, but it's done!

Other than the handy feature of working while the network is turned on, I can't see any reason to use the latest Compressor version. I'll flog this dead horse one more day then revert to the buggy, but generally functional, earlier incarnation.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew YooleRe: Compressor useless
by on Jan 11, 2006 at 6:16:42 am

Chris,

Welcome to Compressor 2! I have been attempting to find resolutions to similar problems since I upgraded to FCS, with no joy. While Don (above) is lucky enough to have a functioning system, you probably DON'T have a system problem like Don says, and you are certainly not alone. I have been forced to revert ALL of the systems in my facility to FCP 4.5/OS 10.3.9 because I need a functioning MPEG2 compressor, and Compressor 2 is not that.

I have been contacted by Apple representatives who admit they have a "significant percentage of users" with these problems, but are unable to replicate the issue themselves in order to address it. I have sent them files to test, as they requested, but have not had a response so far.

So, I have no solution to offer you, only reassurance that you aren't insane and that others are experiencing similar headaches.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim IrwinRe: Compressor useless
by on Jan 14, 2006 at 10:03:41 pm

Well, For me, I was able to get the ridiculous encode times down to 1/2 real time by exporting a non-selfcontained quicktime from final cut and then dragging that to compressor. Exporting Directly to compressor from FCP always resulted in 24 hour + encode times. With the workaround I get a 1 hour show compressed in about 33 minutes. That's using a custom preset with one pass and a bit rate around 6.6 on a dual 2.3ghz g5. Good luck.

-tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FishbackRe: Compressor useless
by on Jan 15, 2006 at 7:58:52 pm

Like Tim, I export a ref file, and then use it in Compressor. I never export to Compressor from FCP. My render times are fine. In some cases, faster than FCP4.5's compressor. You might also want to check if there is any heavy filtering being called for in the preset you're using. That can add render time, although, probably not the mega-time you're experiencing.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.3 QT7.0.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.0.4, DVDSP4.0.2, Comp2.0.1, STP1.0.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 15, 2006 at 9:57:32 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try working from an un-selfcontained file rather than exporting directly from FCP. I had, previously, been working either from a self-contained file or exporting directly from the timeline.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris C.Re: Compressor useless
by on Jan 31, 2006 at 4:05:03 am

Hi Chris,

Just wondering if you had any further progress on this. I think what you're going to find is that 2-pass VBR encoding is broken in Compressor 2. It seems that anyone who has achieved a 'normal' encoding duration has done so using a CBR setting. I'm appalled at Apple's complete lack of response to the issue. You can read over on the Apple Discussion forum how everyone who calls into tech support is told that they're the first person to ever report such a problem! Is absolutlely ludicrous how much they try to conceal their problems.

FWIW, most people have turned to Bitvice to produce usable mpeg2 content on a mac. And no, I don't work for them, but I have used the product and it does work very well.

-Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2006 at 3:16:01 pm

In order to achieve anything near reasonable processing times, I've been reduced to one-pass vbr encodes using the Compressor pre-sets. I encoded a :60 spot last week using a custom CBR setting faster than real time. About ten minutes later I had need to re-encode the same spot with different end tag. I had to revert to a standard VBR setting after the encode showed 2 hours remaining after crunching away for 5 minutes or so.

Thanks for the Bitvise advice. I'll check into it. Apple is pretty disappointing.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris C.Re: Compressor useless
by on Jan 31, 2006 at 3:53:55 pm

Yeah, the "Time Remaining" Column in this program is absolutely useless. It's so far off, it's pitiful. And this is supposedly a 'pro' application.

Bitvice has been good for me. I haven't tried it under Tiger yet. But hopefully that's not an issue.

Cheers,
Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]