Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE SHAKE:HomeShake ForumShake TutorialsApple Shake

Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?

COW Forums : Apple Shake

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Adam Claude JonesWould you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Aug 7, 2009 at 7:52:53 pm

Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
You can still find it in some online stores outside of Apple. But is it worth to buy it now? If it doesn't work with Snow Leopard you will have to either not update your OSX or have an older machine just to run Shake. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnie SchlisselRe: Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Aug 8, 2009 at 1:15:26 am

You will not find a more powerful compositor for $500. To do that you'd have to spend more like $3500.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam Claude JonesRe: Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Aug 8, 2009 at 5:16:18 am

I realize that. But I was talking about usability. Is it not risk to invest on a discontinued program? Chances are big it won't work with Snow Leopard right?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil HoppesRe: Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 12:14:49 pm

I would say that chances of Shake working on Snow Leopard are pretty good. From what I've seen (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10310131-37.html and other posts) the changes between Leopard and Snow Leopard are just not that great. The big difference is that Apple final released a 64bit API so people like Adobe and Autodesk can finally create 64 bit versions of their applications that can actually use the 64bit memory space. Calling Leopard 64bit without any API was a ruse at best and a joke to the users.

I am a Maya user as well as a Shake user. Autodesk just released their one of their compositors, Toxik, with the new 2010 version of Maya. I have it and have started to play around with it a little but, coming from Shake, it is more than a little strange. It is node based which is nice. The UI takes some getting use to. It forces to full screen mode which I don't like. It only renders to image sequences which I also find strange. I guess in the major production houses that use Maya, this is probably not, but for a single person shop I've used shake to capture my image sequences, composite with other footage and create a .mov that I can then use in either AE or FCP for my final production assembly. At the moment from what I've seen, it is no replacement for Shake in a long run.

I don't know. For me there is no compelling reason to quit using shake. I finally understand it and it simply works. There are still a slew of plugins for it as well as good training. Nuke is cool (and written by the same guy that created shake) but my budget can't justify $5K. As long as shake works on SL, and I'm guessing it will, the only reason in the long run to quit using shake is you are forced to because either you don't have a module to bring in your input footage or you can't get to a desire output footage. Till then, as the saying goes, they will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 7:46:20 am

No more opinions?
This forum seems to be slower and slower. I guess this may be a sign it is too late for Shake? Have most already moved on to Nuke here? That's another bad thing about getting into Shake now I guess. It will be hard to find help online. Or has this forum always been slow compared to the other cow forums?
I need to make a decision fast as stores online are running out of Shake copies.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Burt HazardRe: Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Aug 13, 2009 at 12:30:20 pm

Actually if you wait just a little longer you may be able to pick up a super-cheap copy on eBay! :)

Honestly, if you have the money to spend, I'd go with Nuke(I haven't yet, but that will probably be my next big purchase, now that I don't have to buy Syntheyes immediately).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 13, 2009 at 6:43:49 pm

Yeah, but even if you could pick it up new for under $100, if it doesn't work with Snow leopard, wouldn't it be useless regardless of how cheap it is?
You mean you don't need to buy Syntheyes immediately because PFtrack is giving it away for free for Shake?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Burt HazardRe: Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:53:42 am

Yep, that's the relevant question, although at the moment I don't really care since the Macs I have Shake installed on are still running on Tiger anyway. And yes, I've installed PFTrack...having a couple of teething problems with it, but I'm sure I'll get it sorted out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gray WilsonRe: Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 2:30:39 am

Late to this thread but thought I'd put my two cents in. Shake was just used by Zoic and Embassy vfx for District 9. Industrial Light and Magic used it as their main compositor for STAR TREK. So in answering your question, I certainly would buy it now if I didn't have it. I think it is one of the greatest values for independent filmmaking and small effects houses period and hopefully it evolves into a community supported app. I was at Siggraph in 2008 (L.A.) and the job fair had plenty of openings for Shake compositors both intermediate and senior.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnie SchlisselRe: Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 1:50:08 am

And it can now be had for $400 or less at many resellers!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew ShanksRe: Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 9:00:11 am

Shake still is everywhere in the film fx world and will be around for a few more years yet. London is heavily shake still as a number of big houses bought the code and have upgraded it themselves to support 64bit workflow. Having said that, Nuke is starting to be adopted at many places (weta and ILM now have site-wide licences), Australia's two most prominent fx houses have switched to Nuke, and I think more will quickly follow as freelancers start to get trained up and used to it.

So should you buy shake?

Depends. If you can afford Nuke, get it, it is the future and has some sweet tools and a great 3d interface. If you are a student or a freelancer, get Shake, ....just because it is no longer supported doesn't mean it will stop working straight away (advanced word is it still runs fine under snow leopard rendering 10bit quicktimes). It is a strong solid compositor that has been used on many high end oscar winning fx films (LOTR, King Kong, District9, etc), so you can still do very good work with it (its the skill of the artist as much as the toolset, and the tools are good for the most part). Also it will teach you nodal compositing skills that easily translate to Nuke (I'be gone that route, am now a nuke user, and its not hard to make the transition).

Goodluck,

andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2009 at 11:00:31 pm

Really? I can't find it anywhere for this price? Which resellers? Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

charles walkerRe: Would you buy Shake now if you didn't have it?
by on Jan 8, 2012 at 2:14:17 am

The answer to the question is YES!! I have purchased Shake 4.1 & I am incredibly happy with it. It is a truly wonderful piece of graphic & compositing software. Originally costing $9,999.00 it is now approximately $400.00. The best news is: "It works flawlessly in OSX 10.7 (Lion)".When you try to load the .dmg, Lion complains & stalls until you fix the "Legacy image should be converted" problems between shake 4.1 & Lion. Go online to Apple.com >apple Support Communities & the answer dated July 21,2011 will cure the problem. Shake 4.1 then works flawlessly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]