Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE SHAKE:HomeShake ForumShake TutorialsApple Shake

smoothcam node: difference between Rotation and Translation

COW Forums : Apple Shake

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
ntzsmoothcam node: difference between Rotation and Translation
by on Oct 1, 2006 at 3:22:03 pm

the manual says
translationSmooth: Smooths the X and Y motion of the shot.
rotationSmooth: Smooths rotation in the shot.

Just to make sure I understand the difference:
X and Y motion of the shot is when the scenery doesnt move, but the camera does (panning or tilting)
Rotation is when the camera doesnt move, but the scenery does (i.e. shooting the beautiful outside in a car)
Is that it?
I dont think that makes sense, so if someone could correct me...
CaptMench, your tutorials are the reason everybody starts using Shake (yeah, that and maybe the price...), do you have an idea?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

CaptainMenchRe: smoothcam node: difference between Rotation and Translation
by on Oct 3, 2006 at 9:31:28 pm

No -- I think you're thinking the wrong way... rotational is spinning of the camera on a rotation... like a clockface. Translation is the side to side and up and down motion.

Figure it this way... something was wrong with your solid shot that you want fixed. IF your camera was on a floatie on a pool, chances are you had rotational issues you wanted to smooth. IF your camera was on your shoulder and you had to go potty, well -- chances are you've got translational issues you need to smooth out.

Thanks for the kind words on the tutorials.

CaptM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

ntzRe: smoothcam node: difference between Rotation and Translation
by on Oct 4, 2006 at 6:01:31 pm

Finally an answer from the Man himself.
OK, well, then, why in your tutorial do you use rotation smooth since none of your shots has any clock-type rotation? Shouldnt you always set rotation smooth to zero except when you shoot in a pool ;-), as you mentionned?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

CaptainMenchRe: smoothcam node: difference between Rotation and Translation
by on Oct 4, 2006 at 7:35:58 pm

No -- I left it on for two reasons... First, it was a handheld shot so there could have been some rocking; second, I've found best to keep both on a little. Only one you want off is zoom. Use that ONLY if you were messing with the zoom dial and zipped it in and out when you shouldn't have.

Oh -- and PLEASE don't call me the Man. hee... I just had a bug up my butt about doing something and this seemed the best I could come up with. I was lucky enough to get them out at the right time for people to get interested in Shake, but I am BY FAR not the greatest Shake user... I guess 90% of fame is timing.

CaptM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]