Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

ioHD doesn't "officially" support XDCAM EX???

COW Forums : AJA io

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Steve HirschioHD doesn't "officially" support XDCAM EX???
by on Apr 29, 2009 at 4:03:03 pm

I've been using the workflow that many people suggest using on here for almost a year now. Where you take your XDCAM EX footage, let FCP set the sequence according to your footage, and set your sequence render control codec to Apple ProRes 422.

It's worked alright. But over the coarse of that time I've done updates and firmware updates in which everything I have is up to date. So I can't pinpoint when I started seeing these problems but it's been a while now.

1. Most imported title cards or graphics from Photoshop tend to jump in my preview monitors.
2. The video in the preview monitors will play for a few seconds then freeze.

Everything plays fine on the computer monitor and timeline. It's almost like the ioHD cannot keep up trying to transcode ProRes 422 on the fly to preview. I called tech support and they told me that they are aware of the first issue and currently working on it. They also said what helps is setting the sequence to the ProRes 422 and not the HQ version.

For the second issue, they had no idea and agreed with me that the ioHD might not be keeping up with transcoding the XDCAM EX to ProRes422 for the preview monitors. They also said that the ioHD doesn't really support the XDCAM EX codec and think they are working on that too. They suggested to transcode everything to ProRes, which I don't want to do.

Anyway, is anyone else experiencing these issue? What are you doing for workarounds? Any insight would be grateful. Thank you.

Steve

Mac Pro 3 Ghz Dual-Core
8 GB RAM
2.27 TB Xserve RAID
Fibre Channel
OS X 10.5.6
FCP 6.0.5
ioHD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: ioHD doesn't "officially" support XDCAM EX???
by on Apr 29, 2009 at 7:27:53 pm

[Steve Hirsch] "Everything plays fine on the computer monitor and timeline. It's almost like the ioHD cannot keep up trying to transcode ProRes 422 on the fly to preview. "

That compression is done in the Host CPU durning playback not in the IoHD.

The IoHD needs to handle files as prores for optimum performance, it does not support any of the native camera codecs without a CPU powerful enough to support it.

" They suggested to transcode everything to ProRes, which I don't want to do. "

But Steve, that is the recommended workflow for that device.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: ioHD doesn't "officially" support XDCAM EX???
by on Apr 29, 2009 at 7:46:02 pm

[gary adcock] "The IoHD needs to handle files as prores for optimum performance, it does not support any of the native camera codecs without a CPU powerful enough to support it. "

Let me correct my iphone spelling errors...

The IoHD does not support any of the native camera codecs without having a CPU powerful enough to handle the conversion to ProRes on the fly.

The IoHD was engineered to optimally capture and playback in ProRes.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: ioHD doesn't "officially" support XDCAM EX???
by on Apr 29, 2009 at 9:29:38 pm

[gary adcock] "But Steve, that is the recommended workflow for that device. "

Agreed. I have only done two XDcam HD edits. The first one I tried to do native XDCam HD because it was a really quick and fast turn around and had to get it out (without laying to tape).

the second one, I transcoded everything before editing. If more come in the future, I will do that from now on. Even though there's a bit of up front processing time, it makes the rest of the edit and output go soooo much faster. No double or skipped frame, no conforming, no hoopla. Just ProRes.

Even XDcam through a Kona or any other output device for FCP is funky. It's just not made to edit very friendly like. It's made to take good and highly efficient pictures and stay there (kind of like DVDs).

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve HirschRe: ioHD doesn't "officially" support XDCAM EX???
by on Apr 30, 2009 at 3:34:04 pm

Thank you guys. I understand now. I was under the impression that the ioHD was transcoding on the fly to see playback on the preview monitors.

What confused me was when I read different posts here on the COW about editing in the native codec and setting your Render Control Codec to Apple ProRes 422 as the workflow. Which works ok on the computer monitor, but not so much if you have a preview monitor and a client monitor hooked up the the ioHD.

So my best bet is to transcode my XDCAM EX files to ProRes 422 HQ and work in a ProRes sequence to get the most out of my system.

Thank you,
Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 30, 2009 at 5:07:53 pm

[Steve Hirsch] "So my best bet is to transcode my XDCAM EX files to ProRes 422 HQ and work in a ProRes sequence to get the most out of my system. "

Yep, or you can drop your EX files in a ProRes timeline, but it's going to br a lot fo rendering and FCP can make mistakes.

For your EX footage, I'd stick with transcoding to ProRes and not HQ in Compressor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 30, 2009 at 9:48:13 pm

Oh, and by the way, there's the new ioExpress that is codec independent and runs via PCIe (that's a card in your desktop or by an Express 34 card in your laptop).

http://www.aja.com/products/io/io-express.php

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mario RubertisRe: ioHD doesn't "officially" support XDCAM EX???
by on May 2, 2009 at 10:08:23 pm

Steve,

I've been using my MXO2 with the native XDCAM workflow just like you would like to do with your AJA box... but it has been working flawlessly for me.
You might want to check out this workflow doc on the Matrox site:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2/sony/

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to share my findings with you.

Stay well.

An Artist At Heart.
Life is made of moments...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2009 at 11:31:23 pm

Mario,

As has been mentioned, the new AJA io Express is codec independent and can handle XDCam natively.

JEremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron FrankRe: ioHD doesn't "officially" support XDCAM EX???
by on May 3, 2009 at 2:38:22 pm

I too am having problems with my IoHD with HD graphics. In fact, here is what I sent AJA yesterday. I'bve not heard back from them yet.

Hi.
I've got an AJA IoHD (v. 6.0.3) and have it connected to my new MacPro (2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon) with 12GB of Ram, running OSX 10.5.6, with FCP 6.0.5. The problem I'm experiencing also occurs when connected to my MacBookPro.

When doing work in HD (sequence in FCP set to Apple ProRes 422 HQ and the video playback set to the AJA HD 422 HQ setting) I get instability in the video outputs (both HD and down converted SD) that looks like video tearing. This only occurs when I'm working with high resolution graphics in the FCP time line. If I enlarge, or zoom in, on the high resolution graphic, the tearing will stop if I find "a sweet spot" in the graphic.

The images are stable in the canvas and viewer windows, but not at the output of the IoHD.

I'm running the HDMI out of the IoHD into my HD monitor, and I'm running component video (down converted) into my conventional SD analog monitor.

The tearing occurs when the FCP time line is either parked (still framed - either full frame or field selected on the AJA IoHD) or while playing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2009 at 6:01:42 pm

[Ron Frank] "The tearing occurs when the FCP time line is either parked (still framed - either full frame or field selected on the AJA IoHD) or while playing. "

What format/frame rate and where did the graphics originate?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 3, 2009 at 6:13:32 pm

The graphics generally come from photoshop and brought into FCP as a high quality JPEG or photoshop files. I've also generated graphics using FCP's title generator. All were rendered in the sequence and still exhibit the video tearing.

The rendered sequence file format has been both XDCAM EX 1080i60 (35VBR) and/or 1920 x 1080 Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).

As mentioned earlier, FCPs video output has been matched with the sequence (in both my MacBook Pro and my MacPro).

Hope this answers your question.

Ron

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2009 at 2:49:25 pm

Is the tearing showing up in the canvas of FCP as well or just on the ioHD output?

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2009 at 4:30:34 pm

The canvas is fine. No tearing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 4, 2009 at 4:34:40 pm

Any chance you can post a picture of it?

If you are absolutely sure everything is matching (timeline and output) and fully rendered, then I would uninstall, restart then reinstall the ioHD drivers. Make sure the firmware updater runs (it should automatically) and that the firmware is up to date for the ioHD.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: ioHD doesn't "officially" support XDCAM EX???
by on May 4, 2009 at 6:11:55 pm

Also, check your waveform and vectorscope to see if you've brought in graphics that are simply out of gamut in luma (brightness) or saturation. Photoshop works in RGB...that colorspace does not neatly overlay rec 601 or 709 and out of gamut signals will cause havoc on video displays.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 5, 2009 at 1:28:47 pm

I've been working with the AJA folks on this, and they are going to send me a replacement unit to see if my current box is the problem.

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks to all who have been responding to this.

Ron

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]