Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Long "capture now" takes

COW Forums : AJA io

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jose pantinLong "capture now" takes
by on Dec 1, 2007 at 4:36:15 pm

Hi there,

For the first time I

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

uncompressedRe: Long "capture now" takes
by on Dec 2, 2007 at 5:33:35 am

is this directly when the tape ends and you hit stop or when you try to bring it into the bin and save it?

it could be hanging because it is finishing out the space it was allocated. FCP blocks out an area on the array to capture the footage to, it doesnt find a path as it goes, that would cause too much drama. if you are capturing a one hour tape, set the limit to one hour....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jose pantinRe: Long "capture now" takes
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 2:05:55 am

It happens when I hit escape. The colored spinning wheel stays on for nearly 20 min. But today it din't happen for first two takes.

How much free space should I leave for a 465 GB hard drive? I have 3. I think I haven't arrange then well.

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcow
gary adcockRe: Long "capture now" takes
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 12:19:30 pm

[jose pantin] "How much free space should I leave for a 465 GB hard drive? I have 3. I think I haven't arrange then well. "

10% of open disk space is an absolute min. ( about 50gigs)

20% gives you room to move around a little.

you did this to yourself, sorry..

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 4, 2007 at 12:57:47 pm

Hi Gary,

90 GB is a lot of space. I never thought you needed that much. Could that be the reason for the long delay? I'll give it a try today.
Do you mean, if I set up the disk drives myself?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcow
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 3:40:16 pm

[jose pantin] "Could that be the reason for the long delay?"

it most certainly is.

See the computer needs about 2x the size of the file you are working with as temp volume, and this is in addition to the scratch disk needs you should have allocated.

Always make sure to have your media and your scratch disk on separate volumes (not partitions actual volumes ) with at least 10% of the space free. Faster drives will also speed up this process.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
JeremyGRe: Long "capture now" takes
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 4:43:59 pm

[gary adcock] "Always make sure to have your media and your scratch disk on separate volumes (not partitions actual volumes ) with at least 10% of the space free. Faster drives will also speed up this process. "

Isn't the purpose of a scratch disk to keep your media on it?

Also, a simple log and capture with marking ins and outs will save this whole process, even if you have a 60 min clip. I know you want to save VTR life, but fast forwarding to the end, mark out, rewind to the beginning, mark in (leave room for preroll) will not produce that much wear and tear on your VTR and it will capture much better and you won't have to worry about FCP bombing out because it doesn't know what to do when it reaches the end of the tape.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Dec 5, 2007 at 1:08:34 pm

[JeremyG] "sn't the purpose of a scratch disk to keep your media on it?
"

good catch,dude

Jeremy is correct, my apologies, as this is a little over most users needs.

since you asked.

I actually currently capture media and render files to 2 different volumes.

I am on fibre right now and do this without issue) find that for some of the high end workflows I am on, I really need this kind of bandwidth, especially with 2K DPX files. and Red 4K rendering and output ( being tested now)

For the vast majority of users, this is beyond over kill,and in honesty I originally did it to see if it would help speed up processing of 2K DPX seqs with my older G5 that only has the 2Ghz apple fibre card. By sending the renders to one volume and keeping the media on another I was able to handle a larger amount of data than I was on one single storage volume.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JeremyGRe: Long "capture now" takes
by on Dec 5, 2007 at 6:35:53 pm

That makes complete sense.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 20, 2007 at 2:24:39 pm

Hi there,

I've been doing what Jeremy suggested, marking ins and outs at the beginning and end of tapes, with good results. But also allowing as much free hard drive space as possible that 10%, as Gary explained.

I bought my suite with a 465 GB (2X 2?? drives that work as one) SATA hard drive from Promax in 2004. This year I bought two extra 465 GB Hitachi drives from them.

They work as separate drives (so I have 3 465 GB drives). The new ones duplicate files. But just the folders, one is empty and the other one has the clips.

It makes sense what Gary says about rendering in to one drive and capturing to another. What would be a good way to make the most out this system?

Many thanks,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]