Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BORIS FX:Boris FX ForumBoris FX TutorialsBorisAfter EffectsMotion Graphics

Can RED5 masks stick?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jaeson KoszarskyCan RED5 masks stick?
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:56:32 pm

Using RED5 & Media100Suite2.1.

I apply a custom shape mask to a layer. If I change the position/size/rotation/etc of the layer, the mask remains unaffected. I want the mask to stick but it remains unchanged.

Same thing happens if I apply masks to containers. In RED4, I could use pre-comp containers but it doesn't work the same in RED5.

Is there a way to make the masks adopt changes that are applied to the layer? I don't want to enter all the key-frame data multiple times. I'd rather be able to create and move a single object around.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

peter mcauleyRe: Can RED5 masks stick?
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 1:30:32 pm

Hi Jaeson,

You need to place the mask shape in the "face" mask track in order for it to do what you want.

There are two mask tracks on every shape track, one is pre-transforms and one is post transforms. You've been placing the mask in the post transforms mask track so it ignores any transformation moves that have been applied to the track. Just drag the mask shape up into the other mask track and the mask will lock to the media.

If this is unclear please let me know and I'll offer a more in-depth explanation.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Boris YamnitskyRe: Can RED5 masks stick?
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:08:52 pm

OK, you discovered the difference between downstream and upstream masks. To make a mask stick to the layer even after transformations apply it "upstream". To do that use the mask track nested in Face track. Let me know if this technique works for you.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]