Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BORIS FX:Boris FX ForumBoris FX TutorialsBorisAfter EffectsMotion Graphics

Remove a dust spot with Dust and Scratch filter

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jim SchuchmannRemove a dust spot with Dust and Scratch filter
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 7:16:59 pm

I have a dust post on the lens of the camera that is just off center of the frame that I am trying to see if Dust and Scratch would be successful in removing. I downloaded Red 5 and BCC7 for Sony Vegas Pro 10e. I can not figure out how to make it work. I have created a inside oval mask and placed it over the dust spot on the timeline and I don't know where to go from here. I've looked for tutorials and instructions but can't find anything regarding Dust and Scratch. Please help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

peter mcauleyRe: Remove a dust spot with Dust and Scratch filter
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 2:50:41 pm

Hi,

If the spot is very small, then my suggestion is to use BCC Pixel Fixer to eliminate it. If it is larger than a couple of pixels, then I would suggest using the BCC Wire Remover.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim SchuchmannRe: Remove a dust spot with Dust and Scratch filter
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 10:07:17 pm

Can you offer any assistance or direction on how to use these filters. I can't find any directions or tutorials on how they work. I've looked all over the Boris site and here also. I was thinking of purchasing either BCC7 or Red 5, but not if there is no directions. I'm frustrated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

peter mcauleyRe: Remove a dust spot with Dust and Scratch filter
by on Jul 29, 2011 at 1:17:30 pm

Hi Jim,

I'd be happy to do that for you.

So, let's say you have a very small spot of dust to remove from the image clip and that it is static, and does not shift position from frame to frame. Follow these steps to remove it:

• Apply the BCC Pixel Fixer to the clip
• Zoom in on the spot so that you can see it clearly
• Use the on-screen point controls to position Point 1 directly over the spot to be removed
• Adjust the Size parameter value until the spot is no longer visible

The filter will repair the spot on every frame - there is no further work needed.

Now let's say that the spot is too big to be eliminated with the BCC Pixel Fixer filter. For larger spots, we need to use the BCC Wire Remover filter.

• Apply the BCC Wire REmover filter to the clip
• Zoom in on the spot so that you can see it clearly
• Click on the View pop-up and select Preview Area from the list that appears
• Position End Point 1 and End Point 2 so that the spot is covered
• Click on the View pop-up and set it to Render

At this stage, the spot should be gone. The filter does this by pulling in pixels from the area surrounding the dust spot. In some cases, you might want to make an adjustment to the Feathering (this softens the edge of the fix for the spot) or the Width (this adjusts the width of the repair zone). Sometimes you might want to add a little bit of noise to further hide the fact that you repaired the spot - this is done by setting the Noise parameter value to something greater than zero.

I hope this helps Jim. If you can't remove the dust spot, please feel free to send me a single frame that shows the problem and I'll take a look at it here and offer you more feedback on how to eliminate the problem area from the image. You can send that to me via email at peterm@borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]