Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE SOUNDTRACK:HomeSoundtrack ForumAudio Professionals Forum

Editing MP3's with Sound Track

COW Forums : Apple Soundtrack

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
edmond4Editing MP3's with Sound Track
by on Jul 27, 2006 at 3:13:47 am

I'm editing archived radio shows, in mp3 format. If I have an hour of audio, from a radio interview, it is 7 mb in size, I take it into Soundtrack Pro, thereby decompressing the file, then edit out 15 minutes worth of commercials, how can I get that audio back out at a size now smaller than 7 mb?

I can choose "export track" and export the track at the lowest setting possible, which is

Bit Depth: 16
Sample Rate: 32 kHz.

This leaves me with a large file. I can then take it into iTunes, and there I have set it up to compress it to mp3 at stereo bit rate 64 kHz, Sample Rate 16 kHz, mono.

This leaves me with larger files than the original despite having edited out commercials. I would like to be able to edit these files quickly, (and Soundtrack is great for this) and then re-encode them at the setting of the original, which I don't know what that is for sure, but somehow it's an mp3 of an hour durration, 16 kb bringing it to 7 MB.

Is there another way around this? A shorter faster method? Any such thing as a plugin for Sound Track to compress out at this mp3 setting in the first place?

Anyway I could just save the file back over itself, at it's original settings. Any plugins for this?

Thanks, I'd love to hear if anyone has a faster recommendation that can cut down my work flow time.

Thanks,

Edmond

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to rack and ruin without fail. It is a very grave mistake to think that the engagement of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty." --- Albert Einstien

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Martin BakerRe: Editing MP3's with Sound Track
by on Jul 27, 2006 at 5:57:22 am

Edmond

If you're just editing out commercials (and editing silence to silence) then I'd strongly recommend you take a look at a program called MP3 Trimmer. This is not anywhere near as sophisticated as Soundtrack Pro but it allows you to open an MP3 file, set the sections to keep (with neat in/out previews and nudge controls) and then save the file with zero quality loss. It does this by literally removing the data for the unwanted parts, so all the settings and ID3 tags will remain the same. Using STP will incur a decode/recode process and as you've discovered is a lot more hassle.

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
NEW! BigTIme - resizable timecode display for FCP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

edmond4Re: Editing MP3's with Sound Track
by on Jul 27, 2006 at 6:22:08 am

Thanks, just what would be ideal, it looks like it's for the PC side though huh?

How do I get apple to put this ability into their next version of STP. That would be great.

Ideally, I'll find something on the mac side, but this looks like a great thing for the PC.

Edmond

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to rack and ruin without fail. It is a very grave mistake to think that the engagement of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty." --- Albert Einstien

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 27, 2006 at 6:34:54 am

Nope, MP3 Trimmer is a Mac only program.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/soundtrackpro.html

Martin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 27, 2006 at 2:22:52 pm

Okay,

Though most of the web sites list Windows Xp as the OS for the program. I appreciate your fast reply and suggestion with this.

As it stands, it seems too cumbersome to use and clip out sections all through an hour long mp3, hard to pick in and out points as compared to STP. So for now, I guess I'll continue with my routine, and try to find better compression settings for what I edit, so that a 7 MB mp3 of an hours duration will come out to be more like 5 MB with 15 minutes of commercials taken out.

If anyone has any ideas on how to assure I won't loose quality in this process, I'd love to hear from you.

Edmond

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 27, 2006 at 3:00:12 pm

OK first find out the bit rate, sampling rate and channels of the original mp3 file. Open it in iTunes then choose File > Get Info to see the specs.

Make your edits in STP and export to an AIFF file at the same sample rate and number of channels. Open the AIFF file in iTunes. If your original file specs are not available as a preset of the Advanced>Importing tab of iTunes Preferences you will have to make a custom mp3 setting. Finally Ctrl-Click on the AIFF file in iTunes and select "Convert to MP3".

Martin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 27, 2006 at 3:12:09 pm

Excellent Martin,

Thanks for this. I didn't even think that I had that information available to me by clicking "get info."

It looks like the original file is

16 kbps Bit Rate
11.025 kHz Sample Rate
Mono.

This should work beautifully now Martin. I appreciate so much your help on this. What a great resource.

Edmond

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Editing MP3's with Sound Track
by on Jul 29, 2006 at 2:09:32 pm

[edmond4] "16 kbps Bit Rate
11.025 kHz Sample Rate
Mono."

Edmond4, Martin,

Just went through the EXACT same situation for a client. I exported AIFF from Soundtrack Pro and imported into iTunes. The file had the same specs as Edmond's. Seems to be common for radio. Problem is when I used advanced and tried to export out of iTunes I kept getting a message that the sample rate (11.025khz) and bit rate (16kbps) combination was not supported.

Edmond did you bump into this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2006 at 2:09:44 pm

11.025 kHz Sample Rate
Mono."

Edmond4, Martin,

Just went through the EXACT same situation for a client. I exported AIFF from Soundtrack Pro and imported into iTunes. The file had the same specs as Edmond's. Seems to be common for radio. Problem is when I used advanced and tried to export out of iTunes I kept getting a message that the sample rate (11.025khz) and bit rate (16kbps) combination was not supported.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2006 at 3:31:15 pm

There were some settings that were not good for me., saying they were not recommended or something or other.

Otherwise, it worked for me.

Go here to see a screen capture of what I had.

The Stereo Bit rate you'll leave at 32 to get the 16.

Let me know if it works, I didn't have any problem.

http://www.awakeandarise.org/MpegStreamclip/iTunes.htm

Edmond

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2006 at 3:51:50 pm

Thanks edmond4. I don't recall exactly what my (several tries at) settings where but I remember trying to do VBR for one.

BTW, I wonder why this can't be available in QuicktimePro. There's a Movie to MP3 option which doesn't seem to allow for any user settings and failed when I attempted to use that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2006 at 5:32:12 pm

So Craig,

You got it to work then?

Edmond

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2006 at 2:10:06 pm

11.025 kHz Sample Rate
Mono."

Edmond4, Martin,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

edmond4Re: Editing MP3's New Software coming.
by on Aug 4, 2006 at 3:09:42 pm

I thought I would share the following information which is a software answer to my question originally posed.

I have audiohijack pro, which brings my computer out of sleep, connects to the radio stream I've set up, and records the show. What awesome software, expecially as it also acts as an alarm clock, waking me to the playing of a radio show that I enjoy.

Sound Track Pro will hopefully down the road implement an ability to edit mp3's and save them over themselves, in their original setting.

Now, Audio Hijack Pro will have software called Fission which will be an editor, cutting out commercials and unwanted pieces of recorded audio.

Here is a "press release" of sorts about it:

Fission, Rogue Amoeba's next product will be released to the world in
the coming weeks. Fission is an audio editor that's designed as a
perfect companion to Audio Hijack Pro, as well as being an easy way to
accomplish many common editing tasks.

In a nutshell, Fission makes it easy to break a recording into pieces
and cut out ads. You can place split points to break the file into
pieces, and turn one recording into multiple files. This is great for
breaking streamed shows down into segments or for recording records and
tapes. You can also choose sections to cut out, remove commercials or
uninteresting bits from your recordings. When you're all set, you can
edit the ID3 tags of the file and save it out, for use on an iPod, in
iTunes, or anywhere else.

Fission is completely lossless when editing the major filetypes - AIFF,
ALAC, MP3, and AAC can all be cut, split, and faded with zero quality
loss. Pretty cool, no? Fission can also import and export audio using
QuickTime. You can read in WMV using Flip4Mac, edit the audio, and then
export it as Ogg Vorbis using the Xiph QuickTime components. I'm not
sure why you'd want to, but there it is.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, which means this
screenshot of Fission in action is worth about five times more than the
text of this first look:

http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/images/fission-development.png

So, that's Fission in brief. Look for it in on our site soon!

Edmond

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]