Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

MediaVault 4210 Setup Questions

COW Forums : Ciprico storage solutions

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
wadzunitMediaVault 4210 Setup Questions
by on Feb 18, 2007 at 6:07:49 pm

I have some setup questions for the MediaVault 4210:
1. What are the throughput differences for a dual controller RAID 30 setup (striped RAID 3 volumes) versus a single channel RAID 6 setup?
2. Do I set the striping across the RAID volumes using Apple's Disk Utility and then add the new volume to the MetaSAN?
3. I will be connecting the 4210 to a Brocade Silkworm 210E with both 4Gb FC channels - does this still leave room for daisy chaining another 4210? Or am I better off attaching any adittional MediaVaults directly to the switch?

Many Thanks

Adam.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance R. GropperRe: MediaVault 4210 Setup Questions
by on Feb 19, 2007 at 2:46:24 pm

Hello Adam:

Here's the answers to your questions:

1) Depends more on what you attach it to (An whether or not you are running any SAN software, such as that mentioned in question 2). Note that the 4210 and 4210R6 are completely different units, and the 4210 does not do RAID 6, and the 4210R6 does not do RAID 3 (currently).

2) Yes, unless you are doing a cross-platform SAN (Windows/Mac) -- If you are, it is recommended you stripe in Windows before adding the volume to the SAN.

3) Not all 4210's can be daisy-chained -- you must specify the one with the hub in order to be able to daisy-chain.

Lance Gropper
Ciprico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

wadzunitRe: MediaVault 4210 Setup Questions
by on Feb 19, 2007 at 4:56:12 pm

Thanks Lance,

The 4210 will be shared using MetaSAN to about five G5's and Mac Pros running FCP and After Effects.
I plan to connect the 4210 via both 4Gb FC connections to a Brocade Silkworm 210E and run single channel ATTO 4Gb FC cards in the macs. The files will (obviously) all be quite large.

Am I correct in estimating a useable capacity of approx. 3.7TB for the 4210 in RAID 6 or 3 mode?
Which RAID setup will give me the best sustained throughput?

Can the hub be added later?

Many thanks

Adam.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

StatueRe: MediaVault 4210 Setup Questions
by on Feb 20, 2007 at 8:34:14 pm

Hello Adam:

The currently shipping 4210's do not do RAID 6. If you attach a dual-channel unit to a switch and then go single-channel on the computer, you won't be able to access the array at full speed. The usable capacity of the 4210 depends on the model -- they come in 2.5TB, 4TB, and 5TB in RAID 3, the capacity of the unit is diminished by 1/5th, so 2.5TB would yield 2TB in RAID 3, 4TB would yield 3.2TB in RAID 3, and 5TB would yield 4TB in RAID 3. In answer to your last question -- won't make any difference with single-channel cards.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lance R. GropperRe: MediaVault 4210 Setup Questions
by on Feb 20, 2007 at 8:41:03 pm

(((Statue is me - Lance - There's something funny going on with Cow logins at the moment)))...

Lance Gropper
Ciprico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

wadzunitRe: MediaVault 4210 Setup Questions
by on Feb 20, 2007 at 11:50:54 pm

Thanks Lance.

I'll go single channel 4GB for the workstations for now and upgrade if we need to.

thx

Adam.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]