Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE ENCORE DVD:HomeForumTutorialsDVD Authoring

HD on DVD with Encore CS5

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
George DeFratesHD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:52:50 pm

Hi, I am trying to burn a DVD with HD video (1920X1080). I made the video in Premiere Pro CS5 and transcoded with Adobe Media Encoder at 1920X1080. I import to Encore CS5 and when the DVD is completed it still comes out at 720X480. I am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to do 1920X1080 on DVD? If not possible why have this transcode setting in Media Encoder?

Appreciate any help some might offer.

Thanks,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BelluneRe: HD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:57:32 pm

Hi George,

Standard Def NTSC DVD is always 720x480. It's part of the spec.

To get HD footage on to disc, you need Blu-ray. En can author BD, which is why those settings are available. You just need to set up your En project for BD instead of DVD.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

George DeFratesRe: HD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:05:44 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Jeff.

George

George

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BelluneRe: HD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:17:55 pm

You're welcome. :-)
There is a way to get about 20 minutes of BD content on a blank DVD, but I don't have the technique at my fingertips. It's intended as stop-gap measure for those who don't want the expense of buying a Blu-ray burner or blank BD media.

I do know that it requires a Blu-ray player that can read AVCHD files.

If you're interested, a search here or at the Adobe forums may turn up the exact method, or someone may post to this topic with a "How To" guide.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

John RichRe: HD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 12:12:58 am

If you aren't using a PS3 to play back your BluRay on a regular DVD, you could
1. Create a BluRay ENcore Project
2. Burn the project as an .iso (image file)
3. Use ImgBurn to burn the .iso to a DVD and then play it on a BluRay player.

On the other hand three years ago, this post describes how to make a PS3 playable BluRay DVD and at the end, the author was able to put 69 min of HDV material onto a dual sided DVD.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/145/862674

If you're inte

JOHNR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2011 at 12:18:20 am

If you aren't using a PS3 to play back your BluRay on a regular DVD, you could
1. Create a BluRay ENcore Project
2. Burn the project as a BluRay .iso (image file)
3. Use ImgBurn to burn the .iso to a DVD and then play it on a BluRay player.

On the other hand three years ago, this post describes how to make a PS3 playable BluRay DVD and at the end, the author was able to put 69 min of HDV material onto a dual sided DVD.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/145/862674

If you're interested, I put together a tutorial on how to do the PS3 playable DVD BluRay, Reg DVD and PS3 down near the bottom of the list.
http://jmrser.com/Tutorials.html
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christophe De BackerRe: HD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 3:24:00 pm

Hi all

I think this topic is the best place for my question. It's somehow related.

I have 3 uncompresses HD video files. In total of 39,7 GB. I know if I burn them to DVD they will chance from 1920x1080 to 720x576. At the moment I don't have problems with this.

But If I ask Adobe Encore CS5 to transcode automatic I only get 315MB to burn on my DVD. That compression is way to high.
Isn't there a way to compress the 39,7GB to nearly the 4,39GB the max. capacity of the DVD?

Christophe from Belgium

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 5, 2011 at 3:56:20 pm

Chris,
I think it would work better if you would make a new post for your question. That way your question would go to the top of the que. Otherwise, it will be down in the pack somewhere and likely to get lost.
Right now I would like to hear what other folks say, but it seems to me that even if you downsize the video, you will have too much stuff to put on a single sided DVD. Just my Humble opinion though.

John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christophe De BackerRe: HD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 7:22:04 pm

Fair enough. A new topic it is.

The weird part is that Encoure downsize is automatically to 315MB. I thought if you say you have a one layer DVD, encoure will compress it automatically to just fit on the DVD.

Anyway new topic is here: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/145/869193

Christophe from Belgium

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nathan StancilRe: HD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on Mar 5, 2013 at 8:26:36 am

I just wanted to take a second to say thanks for the post about how to get HD content onto a DVD. I just created a BD ISO in Encore and burned to DVD with ImgBurn, like you said. Played great on my BD player! Thanks Again! Nate

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob AntonelliRe: HD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on May 12, 2011 at 2:53:06 pm

Hey George,

Was wondering if you've found a suitable solution to getting HD media on a standard DVD?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

by on May 12, 2011 at 4:29:19 pm

Bob,
I gave what I thought was a good answer to George's question a couple of posts above and he never responded. I don't know if it worked for him, but burning a bluray .iso and burning to a regular DVD with ImgBurn works for me.
See what you think about the method and references I mentioned a couple of post above yours.
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob AntonelliRe: HD on DVD with Encore CS5
by on May 12, 2011 at 6:35:25 pm

Hey John,

You did give a good answer, thank you. You said that you play the burnt DVD's in a Blu-Ray player. Can you play those blu-ray .iso Standard DVD's in a standard DVD player?

I'm a new wedding videographer trying to give my client the best possible quality DVD of their HD footage that I can. At this point, most clients don't have Blu-Ray players, just standard dvd players.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 12, 2011 at 7:07:26 pm

Bob,
No, you have to play BluRay HD material on a blu ray player no matter what kind of disk the video is on.
What I would do is post your question as a new question. That way you would get a bunch of new answers. This way, the question still shows up from back in January.
However, here's what I do with my footage which was HDV (1440x1080) and now is AVCHD (1920x1080). I take the footage and scale it down to 720x480 widescreen (PAR 1.2). The scaling process, if you've followed the forums is somewhat controversial, but with the Adobe Media Encoder in CS5, I think that is pretty much the standard way to go now.

Anyway, once the DVD is made with widescreen media, I just play it in an uprezzing dvd player through a HDMI cable to a HDTV and I think it looks pretty good.
I've been told the new Bluray players aren't that expensive, so you might check that out (I've been told $100, but I could be wrong).
The problem is, even if you make a DVD with bluray material on it, you are limited to about 20 minutes of video, which doesn't sound like enough to do a wedding.
You might be surprised how many folks have bluray players.
Let us know how you work this out.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]