Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE ENCORE DVD:HomeForumTutorialsDVD Authoring

Playall and individual chapter navigation

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John FreyPlayall and individual chapter navigation
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 10:11:56 pm

I created a new Encore CS4 project from a single timeline with 17 specific chapter points. I used a main menu that provides a Playall Button and also links to 2 sub-menu pages splitting up the 17 chapter points between them. On the timeline I currently have Chapter Points 1 through 16 with no end action set. The final chapter 17 has the end action set to return to the main menu. The test preview navigation has the playall button working correctly. I then created new chapter playlists for each of the individual chapter points, and linked them to their own buttons. How do I set the links? If I set the end action for each individual chapter to return to the last menu, this now causes playall to stop working correctly - after playing chapter 1, the end action returns to the Main Menu. What am I missing here? Am running out of time. Anyone?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BelluneRe: Playall and individual chapter navigation
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 10:25:54 pm

Remove the end action from the 17th chapter. You don't need it. Just set the end action for the timeline to go where you want when the Play All is done.

Make sure all overrides in the whole project are Not Set.

Don't put any end actions on any of the chapters - that's what the chapter playlists are for.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FreyRe: Playall and individual chapter navigation
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 1:24:45 am

Jeff, here is what I have done: On the timeline, each of the 17 chapter points are linked to their respective buttons in their menus, and the end actions for each one says 'Not Set'. When previewing with the 'VCR Remote' in Encore, Play All starts with chapter 1 and plays through chapter 17, but does not return to the Main Menu, as there is no end action set.

In the Chapter Playlist, I created a new Chapter Playists for each of the 17 chapter points - 17 total chapter playlists in all. I set the end action for each one to go back to it's respective menu page. When I do this, it automatically sets the same thing in the timeline. At this point, I am chasing my tail. I have tried to follow the Adobe CS4 heip files, but am still not getting it. I have looked for an online video tutorial in hopes of finding one dedicated to creating the same things that I need - play all and independent play of all 17 chapters via chapter playlists. I am out of time at this point to order a Tutorial DVD as I have to overnight this disc on Monday to a client for Tuesday delivery. Whew! I cannot see the forest for the trees!

Can you, once again, show me the errors of my ways? If there is a downloadable file that will coach me through this for CS4 encore, I will purchase ASAP. Mt email is john@inlandimages.com

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BelluneRe: Playall and individual chapter navigation
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 1:45:33 am

[John Frey] "Play All starts with chapter 1 and plays through chapter 17, but does not return to the Main Menu, as there is no end action set."

Set the *Timeline* end action to the Main Menu.

[John Frey] "I set the end action for each one to go back to it's respective menu page. When I do this, it automatically sets the same thing in the timeline"

Let me make sure I understand. All 17 chapter points, when you examine each of their properties sheets, show "Not Set" for the end action. When you create a chapter playlist for the timeline, and you add a single chapter to the playlist, setting the end action for the chapter playlist also sets the end action for the chapter in the timeline, the same chapter whose end action you just verified as Not Set?

If this is the case, something is seriously wrong with your installation of Encore, because I have never seen or heard of such behavior.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RichRe: Playall and individual chapter navigation
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 2:36:55 am

Jeff,
I was wondering if you thought this was the way to do this.

1. In Project window, click the timeline tab and select the timeline there. This will bring up all the chapters in the window below. Select all the chapters at one time..
2. Go to the properties and set override to none.
3. Set end action to none.
4. Then deselect the buttons, go back up to the timeline and select it and set the timeline end action to return to the main menu.
5. Then go back to the project window and create a chapter playlist for each of the chapters so you would have 17 chapter playlists each with only one chapter in it.
6. Set the end action of each "chapter playlist" to go back to the menu where it came from.
7 In the first menu, "link" the play all button to the timeline.
8 Then in the submenus link each button to the appropriate chapter playlist.

I think this should give you what you want.
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FreyRe: Playall and individual chapter navigation
by on Jun 27, 2010 at 5:10:23 pm

John -You are the man! I followed your steps exactly as you had them listed, and it works! This is not for the feint of heart. Thanks so much for your response. I also purchased a monthly access to lynda.com and viewed the encore cs4 training video tutorials. They are very good but still did not show exactly how to do this procedure. Thanks again.

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RichRe: Playall and individual chapter navigation
by on Jun 27, 2010 at 6:24:16 pm

John,
Thank you. I think Jeff Bellune taught me that about 5 years ago and I've done it that way ever since. Glad it worked out.

John

JOHNR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Theresa GreenRe: Playall and individual chapter navigation
by on Jul 4, 2010 at 4:13:47 am

I have just spent the last three days on the same dilemma as John Frey. I had just about given up when I read your post. I followed your clear and simple step by step, not thinking for a moment that this would work. It not only worked perfectly, but I get it!!!! I can now see the conflict that I couldn't see before. Thank you so much for your solution, I am sure it will help others as this area of DVD menu creation can get a just a little confusing at first.

Edit your post •

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]