Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE ENCORE DVD:HomeForumTutorialsDVD Authoring

convert PAL subtitles to NTSC subtitles

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Frans Suijsconvert PAL subtitles to NTSC subtitles
by on May 19, 2009 at 2:35:46 pm

Hi all,

What's the best/easiest way to convert PAL subtitles to NTSC. I'm working in Encore CS2 and have .txt PAL subtitle files that I need to convert to NTSC to be able to import them in Encore.

Regards,

Frans

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe BowdenRe: convert PAL subtitles to NTSC subtitles
by on May 19, 2009 at 3:05:05 pm

Try a ratio calculation of frames (24 subtitle fps in PAL for 25 fps) and apply that ratio to 29 frames for 30 fps NTSC (29.97 really, but who's counting) and round it to the nearest frame. You should be able to do something like that in Excel with a formula. There might even be a template out there on the web somewhere that does this already.

You might also want to look into a dedicated subtitling application - Lemony or others. They may have a function that does this for you. If such features exist, this could be the most painless method.

The lazy/poor man's way is to just ignore the differences, which guarantees your subtitles will be not frame accurate (off by no more than 2/15ths of a second), but the real risk in this approach is the duration of your subtitles might crash into the next subtitle, which will cause an error condition when you import the script into Encore (you'll lose the offending subtitle clip). This might work for you anyway, or not.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Frans SuijsRe: convert PAL subtitles to NTSC subtitles
by on May 20, 2009 at 10:32:59 am

Hi Joe,

Thanks for you help. Finally I just imported the PAL subtitles, they lined up just fine, sometimes with a few frames difference. I repositioned them according to the PAL timecode and now it looks fine! No need doing timeconsuming conversion.

Regards,

Frans

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]