Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE ENCORE DVD:HomeForumTutorialsDVD Authoring

Poor quality DVDs from Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John LawtonPoor quality DVDs from Encore
by on May 2, 2009 at 12:40:37 pm

I have just upgraded from using Premiere 6.5/Ulead Workshop 2/Procoder 2. My workflow was to capture and edit in Premiere, export the timeline to Procoder and convert to a MPEG file and them import to Workshop 2 for DVD authoring and burning with the DVDs being of excellent quality. I am now using Premiere CS4 and then exporting via Adobe Dynamic Link (Send to Encore) and authoring and burning in Encore CS4 with the resulting DVDs being of very poor quality in that the image is soft and looking as if it has been desaturated to a degree. I also have installed a Matrox RTX2 LE card. At present, as far as I know it's not possible to export the timeline directly from Premiere CS4 to Procoder 3 (I have ugraded this as well)as I believe that Procoder would give me better quality MPEG files. Can anyone guide me in my workflow as to obtain the best quality files using my upgraded software. Just to add that the quality of the video on the timeline within Premiere CS4 and on the output monitor is superb, the problem to me appears to be in the encoding stage.

Any help very much appreciated.

Regards

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BelluneRe: Poor quality DVDs from Encore
by on May 2, 2009 at 12:48:08 pm

Did you burn an RW disc as a test? Did you just use Encore's preview? Did you use a computer-based media player like Windows Media Player or VLC?

It's important to know what display device(s) were used to make the quality judgment.

If the quality is bad on a burned disc, then you should investigate possible interlaced/progressive issues, scaling one frame size to another, and/or any changes you made to Encore's transcoding settings.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John LawtonRe: Poor quality DVDs from Encore
by on May 2, 2009 at 12:59:10 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have burned a DVD as a test and the quality is not up to the standard that I would want to send out to my customer. The editing process is monitored on a calibrated Sony CRT. I have tried different settings and the problem that I have mentioned above is the best outcome from using Premiere & Encore CS4, I have disks that are actual worse with juddering etc. but I did expect that to happen with the settings being changed. Using the "automatic" settings etc. within Encore is very disappointing.

Regards

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff BelluneRe: Poor quality DVDs from Encore
by on May 2, 2009 at 1:20:49 pm

My next question then concerns the source footage and sequence settings that you used in Pr. For example, was the source footage an HD format like HDV or AVCHD?

But if you used D1/DV source footage and your Pr sequence is set up with a DV frame size and frame rate, then you should test a different workflow.

1. Export the Pr sequence as a DV .avi file.
2. Import the DV .avi file into ProCoder 3 and encode as DVD-legal MPEG2. Don't multiplex the video and audio - encode to separate .m2v and .wav files. Make *sure* to set ProCoder to close the GOPs.
3. Import the .m2v and .wav files into Encore and burn a test disc.

If the quality improves significantly, then either Dynamic Link or Encore's transcoding are doing something they ought not to do.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Donald SanduskyRe: Poor quality DVDs from Encore
by on Jan 1, 2010 at 11:47:03 pm

I have had a similar problems in Encore CS4 when trying to create SD DVDs using HDV captured content. I have tried a number of procedures (dynamic link, mv2, avi) to create a SD DVD from HDV content. I usually resort to using a ROXIO product when I need to output from HD content to an SD DVD. ENCORE is not ready for prime time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]