Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

EXCAM to Premiere Pro on PC

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob ColeEXCAM to Premiere Pro on PC
by on Nov 10, 2012 at 12:14:18 pm

The Situation: In the last year, I've had two clients who edit on PC and need footage that I have shot on my EX1R. (And I'm thinking of jumping to PCs too, so I have another reason to be curious about this.)

The Problem: Transcoding my footage so that they can use it efficiently. They are not interested in learning all about Sony Clip Browser, etc. They Just Want The Files, and I don't know how to help them.

The Real Problem: I'm flying blind here. I edit using FCP7, on a MacBook and a MacPro. I also have a PC (HP xw8200) which I use mainly as a bridge to an LTO backup system. (I have a subscription to Adobe CS6, which is crossplatform, so I could theoretically install Premiere Pro on the PC.)

I downloaded Sony Clip Browser 2.6 on my HP xw8200. The choices are bewildering, and perhaps the best choice (the MainConcept codec) looks to cost $170-360, depending on flavor.

If someone doesn't mind dealing with my ignorance, I would most appreciate some advice on how to navigate the world of EXCAM and PC. I have heard that Premiere edits the native EXCAM files, but I am trying to make things as transparent and efficient for my clients as I can, so I would prefer to deliver something that "Just Works" out of the hard drive.

Additionally (and I realize this may be more appropriate for the Premiere forum), I understand that Premiere ingests quickly, but takes time on the output end for rendering. My experience is that time becomes extremely tight toward the end of an editing session, and I would prefer to be able to export as quickly as possible at that point, even if it means rendering before the editing session.

I don't mind spending the money on the MainConcept codec, if it will facilitate my own PC editing in the future, &/or make it easier for my PC clients to edit with my footage.

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: EXCAM to Premiere Pro on PC
by on Nov 11, 2012 at 8:50:07 am

Bob,

Premiere Pro has had the capability to edit the XDCAM EX native files ever since v.5 came out. That's at least 2 years ago. Just give your client the unaltered BPAV folders from each card on a device (hard drive, memory stick, etc.) that's formatted in Windows NTFS and they can work with the files no problem.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael JohnstonRe: EXCAM to Premiere Pro on PC
by on Nov 11, 2012 at 9:41:29 pm

Two things here. One, copy the cards (BPAV Files) to a hard drive. They should have no problem using those. Also, in FCP7, you can import using Log & Transfer and the clips should import, transcoding to .mov files while maintaining the XDCAM EX codec. Those .mov files will also work in Premeire with no problems.

Now, keep in mind they'll only be able to view the clips in Premiere. To view the clips on a PC in another program such as Quicktime, you'll have to put the clips on a timeline in FCP7 and export it out as a QuickTime file using the .h264 codec.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HendrixRe: EXCAM to Premiere Pro on PC
by on Nov 12, 2012 at 1:07:46 am

My suggestion, give them the raw files (BPAV) folder and also transcode them to H.264 files. That way they have two options.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ColeRe: EXCAM to Premiere Pro on PC
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 7:53:32 pm

Thank you everyone. I'll send the BPAV folder. But in the interest of making it as simple as possible for the client, I still want to try to give them transcoded files. I've found that the files from FCP7's Log & Transfer process will not work for one client's version of Premiere. I will try the .h264 transcode.

Incidentally, last winter I had a major hassle exporting files from FCP7 (from a variety of sources, not just EXCAM) to a major (big 3) network news operation. They were on Avid PC's, and apparently a generation back, definitely not in sync with the latest Quicktime-to-Avid format. Sadly, under deadline pressure they wound up using low-res proxies from the YouTube version of the footage. Ugh. Ly.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help. I'll report back once the client has had a chance to test the BPAV and .h264.

Bob C

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael HendrixRe: EXCAM to Premiere Pro on PC
by on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:52:36 pm

H.264 is small enough that you could do a test clip and yousendit or wetransfer it over to them and test out. At least you will not have to go through a long transcode and find out they cant use the file.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: EXCAM to Premiere Pro on PC
by on Nov 16, 2012 at 2:03:46 pm

[Bob Cole] "Incidentally, last winter I had a major hassle exporting files from FCP7 (from a variety of sources, not just EXCAM) to a major (big 3) network news operation. They were on Avid PC's, and apparently a generation back, definitely not in sync with the latest Quicktime-to-Avid format"
QT EX files can only be read on MAC and IF YOU HAVE FC INSTALLED.

You can try exporting the EX files from FC using the "Export to SONY XDCAM". Then chose MFX.
Another thing that may work is using the free QT > MFX converter from Convergent-Design. Is a rewrapper. Fast.
http://convergent-design.com/Downloads/nanoFlash.aspx

If you go the H264, make them MP4, no QT.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]