Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

Sony ex1r/ex3 refresh?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ajit PatelSony ex1r/ex3 refresh?
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:26:02 am

Hi,

I just sold my Z1 and am waiting to put my money down on the EX1r. Has anyone heard if Sony plans to release a refresh-software,hardware or both- of its ex1r/ex3 cameras at this NAB or should I just go ahead and buy one? And what about the Mobile Hard drive-PXUMS240- that they took off the shelf? Do they plan to introduce a newer model?

Thanks--Ajit

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: Sony ex1r/ex3 refresh?
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:14:08 pm

[Ajit Patel] "Has anyone heard if Sony plans to release a refresh-software,hardware or both- of its ex1r/ex3 cameras at this NAB or should I just go ahead and buy one? "

Firmware version-up changes for these 2 cameras is ongoing. If Sony plans to bring out improved models they're not saying and those who do know are probably bound by an NDA.

Your decision to upgrade the the EX line should be based on a few criteria:

1) By purchasing now will I be better able to serve my clients?
2) Will my increased revenue be able to absorb the cost in a timely fashion?
3) Can I afford the various associated costs such as batteries, recording media etc?

Keep in mind that you're also buying into a different workflow which may include software purchases. If anything I think that if there are any discontinued cameras on the horizon it would probably be the EX3 before the EX1R. I don't know if Sony is replacing their outboard recorder but if they do it will most likely be solid state.

FYI Sony will be introducing a new XDCAM EX that is smaller than the EX1R. I can't seem to find the article I got this from but I did read it somewhere.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Sony ex1r/ex3 refresh?
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:19:26 pm

Jim Stamos posted this
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/878403
Sony introduced the PMW-100.

See more here
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/sony/announcements/sony-pmw-100-downsiz...
Codec is 422 at 50mbps as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: Sony ex1r/ex3 refresh?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:33:20 am

Please, can either Jim, Craig or Don answer these simple questions on that new camera, I not a techy.
1. Is the chip smaller, larger or the same as the EX 1?
2. Is the tele focal length of the lens shorter, the same or longer than the EX 1?
3. Is the low light performance of the new camera worse, better or the same as with the EX 1?
4. Finally, is the definition of the screen worse, better or the same as on the EX 1?

I know there might be other differences, such as menus, PP settings etc but my main concerns would be with the four questions, thanking you all for any light (low or high!) that you can shed.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:20:21 pm

Michael, can you please post your query in a new thread so folks can see it more easily? TIA And besides, highjacking another thread usually results in a visit by the 'netiquette' fairy and the strong possibility of being carried off against your will to her castle for a drinking and debauchery session that sometimes lasts for days.

And you wouldn't want that, I'm sure. But take heart in the fact that this beautiful nymph only drinks on 2 occasions: when she's alone or with somebody.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:40:41 am

Oh Don, how can I make sure that the beautiful nymph does carry me off to her castle? Chance would be a fine thing.

I posted on this thread because the question of this new camera was raised here and it is sort of EX related.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 20, 2012 at 11:20:49 pm

Michael, the big news about this camera, other than its small form factor is that it shoots MPEG2 4:2:2 @50 Mbits per second. This makes it broadcast legal and even the F3 doesn't do that without an outboard recorder like the Nano Flash. The other thing I really like is it records 4 channels of audio @ 24 bit 48k. Now you can have a stereo mic for ambient and 2 channels for radio mics. With all that gear attached you wouldn't be able to see the camera anymore.

The low light might be comparable to the other EX cameras with its one CMOS sensor because it's just a bit larger than one of the EX1R's 1/2 inch imagers. Low light performance will depend on many other factors such as lens diameter etc, but It's probably going to be close to its bigger brethren. There's lots of data on line about the PMW100 but I just haven't had the time to look around. Coming at the end of May, I think.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 21, 2012 at 5:22:42 pm

Thanks Don.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ajit PatelRe: Sony ex1r/ex3 refresh?
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:01:24 am

Thanks Don.
Yes I am planning to refresrh everything down the line-camera ,comp,software etc. I have been using the mac g5 tower for the past 6 years so it's high time .
I realise that I can get an Atomos Samurai and plug it into the EX1R and get good video quality but I am more at ease shooting with no extra gear and wires going around my camera while working. Therefore an update like the 50mbps they got into their xdcam 100 will be just dandy.
Let's wait and watch.
Ajit

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]