Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Craig SeemanXDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:50:35 am

XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
The Twitter verse has been all a twitter about the plugin "announced" coming soon.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris LambertRe: XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:11:26 pm

There's a guy on this forum Ian Cook I believe. He works for Sony he mentioned a few weeks back that something would be announced/demo'd at NAB he didn't mention when it would release hopefully this has changed to being launched at the show, as I'm sure were feeling the same woe's at the mo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:43:43 pm

We're certainly aware of Ian.
I thought it was interesting that someone apparently from or with a relationship with Sony tweeted the info that it would be a plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 and that download information would be coming soon. Since it's specific to 10.0.4 and Apple has been working on how plugins are handled, that may have had to do with the wait.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris LambertRe: XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:52:47 pm

Here's hoping! Now if Sony could just patch 50mbps into all the SxS card based cameras or just the EX3 then it would be high five's all round! come on Sony make my month!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:55:24 pm

[Chris Lambert] "Now if Sony could just patch 50mbps into all the SxS card based cameras or just the EX3"

That probably can't be done since it would take a hardware change to the encoder in the camera.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael PalmerRe: XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:06:41 pm

Oh I'm sure the hardware is quite capable of encoding up to 280Mbps. The same encoder in the Nano Flash is in the EX cameras.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 3:08:45 pm

[Michael Palmer] "The same encoder in the Nano Flash is in the EX cameras."

Sony licensed it?
Or are you saying that Sony used an "off the shelf" part that others can use to develop with as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 4:59:57 pm

Sony licensed the very same encoder used in HDV - EX - XDCam cameras to Convergent_Design and they unlocked it to let the end user choose the correct bit rate for their project, from 5Mbps up to 280Mbps. Just as Mpeg-4 can give 4:2:2 @50Mbps so can Mpeg-2, and both Mpeg-4 and Mpeg-2 can both choose the type of compression (Inter/intra) @100Mbps.

Sony also licensed it to JVC and Canon

Same 8 bit encoder chip in all these cameras.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 5:11:52 pm

Time for Sony to offer a firmware upgrade then . . . unless there's some other inhibiting factor.
I remember calculating that in 24fps time base 60fps slow mo was doing about 87mbps.
This would probably mean if one were to be able to chose the bit rate there'd have to be an upper limit well under the max for slow mo use. I wonder if there's some other in camera processing limits that would make it difficult for them to implement.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 5:26:47 pm

I can't recall which but either the JVC or Canon uses 50Mbps and wraps to .mov
It is a firmware deal, plain and simple. I'd love it for my F3 and EX3.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 5:44:21 pm

I thought JVC 35mbps .mov option and Canon 50mbps .mxf.

Sony PDW800 is either 35mbps 4:2:0 or 50mbps 4:2:2

I know the price and market are different but I was surprised that the F3 didn't have 50mbps 4:2:2 from the start.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 5:52:57 pm

Funny a Z1u has the same encoder chip, and yes the F3 really should have had 50Mbps, but all the guys diving in on quote broadcast quality cameras (XDcam's) would have screamed, marketing at its best and buyer beware.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian CookRe: XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 7:46:46 pm

As I posted earlier we'll be showing the updated workflows for both optical XDCAM and SxS next week. There should be no surprises. We also have production releases of the new components and they will be online in a few days.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SloweRe: XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:44:20 pm

Ian, any comment on the talk (see above) concerning an update for the EX cameras (all) enabling 50mps acquisition? Possible? Likely?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian CookRe: XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:10:43 pm

I'm reluctant to wade into this one as while the Nano uses our Torino chip for XDHD encoding there is a lot of misinformation flying around viz this topic.

What I can add is that while there are some other cool enhancements and updates on the road map we will not be adding 50 Mbps HD422 to current EX devices (though you'll continue to see it on hybrid devices like the PMW500, PDW-HR1/MK1 and XD Station decks). Easiest path to 50 Mb is to use XD Browser with the Main Concept plugin and up-convert to HD422. There are other ways to do this (round trip through Avid, FCP, Premiere etc) but the nice thing about Browser is that it's very easy to log and batch convert entire card archives in one pass..

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 12:59:36 pm

[Ian Cook] "As I posted earlier we'll be showing the updated workflows for both optical XDCAM and SxS next week. There should be no surprises. We also have production releases of the new components and they will be online in a few days.
"

So will details of these new workflows be posted anywhere?

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ConnorRe: XDCAM EX Import plugin for FCPX 10.0.4 coming?
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:11:57 pm

I'll answer my own question!

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/800-sony-launch-their-pdzk-lt2-xdcam-i...

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]