Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

SxS card file numbering

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Robin ProbynSxS card file numbering
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 11:10:35 pm

Hi

How does the camera assign the file number to SXS cards.. is it ever possible to have the same file number.? Sony 500 camera for example..

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian CookRe: SxS card file numbering
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 11:32:20 pm

You set this up in Menu-->Operation-->Clip. The numbers should not repeat, even if you format the card, until you manually change this setting.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robin ProbynRe: SxS card file numbering
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 11:37:45 pm

Thanks Ian

I dont have the camera with me now.. can you give me more info about this setting..? or where it is in the manual PMW500..

Thanks again for your time

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 22, 2012 at 11:51:56 pm

Found it in the manual.. so can set prefix and file number..thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:49:49 am

Found it..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:56:47 am

Thanks Ian

A bit confused.. so I go into this setting.. and set a name.. and then a number.. in the camera.. whats the dif with this and inputting metadata with a USB stick or SXS card..

If I just put a card in and reformat,..and start shooting.. what name/number will the camera give to each clip.. If I number the card.. will that be kept after a camera reformat..

I thought it was the best poicy to reformat in the camera after each card down load.. rather than just delete all files.. have searched but no definitive answer .. I use a nanoflash and their advise is to reformat in the unit each time..

Thanks again for your time

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:45:52 pm

The numbering will continue from what you set, even if you reformat. The point is for you to be able to keep recording the file names you need across multiple cards or on the same card after offloading it.

If you use planing metadata you'd set Clip Naming to 'PLAN' and the camera would then automatically pull the custom file names from the planning metadata XML file.

Some manufacturers recommend formatting before every use but it isn't really necessary with SxS unless you are getting constant 'Restore' messages or other indications that the file system needs to be reset. From a memory-health point of view the controller on the card is managing how/where data is written and always optimizing the writes to get the max lifespan. In most use cases a 'Delete All' will suffice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 24, 2012 at 1:23:31 am

Hi Ian

Thanks again for your time.

I wouldnt be putting in metadata.. so would set to title rather than plan in the clip settings ?

In the manual the other settings is

C****: XDCAM standard name (In UDF mode only)

can you explain that please..

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 24, 2012 at 11:49:27 am

Hi Ian

I wouldnt be putting in metadata.. so would set to title rather than plan in the clip settings ?

Does the clip menu have to be set?

If nothing is set in the clip menu.. does the camera just give random numbers to each clip.. or continue on from what ever the had been set on a previous shoot..

Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 24, 2012 at 12:12:56 pm

Hi Ian

If nothing is set in the clip menu.. does the camera just give random numbers to each clip.. or continue on from what ever the had been set on a previous shoot..

I have a test clip from a EX3 that has 502_002_01... the next clip being 502_003_01.. can you shed some light on this set up.. obviuosly the 000 in the middle is the clip number ? what of the others..

Thanks again

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 2:47:43 pm

Are you planning on shooting in UDF or FAT? File naming is handled differently in each mode. in FAT the choices are Title/Plan; in UDF they are Cxxx (the standard generic XDCAM optical file names), Title or Plan. In either case the numbers are never random and advance based on what was set or a generic start # based on the serial # of the camcorder with an advancing suffix.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 27, 2012 at 11:40:29 am

Ian

Many thanks again for your time.Iam planning to entre data via the title,and number functions in the clip menu.. Shooting UDF .. as 50 mbps ..I believe UDF is the only option in this camera..

Thanks again.. think I get it now..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]