Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

Blu-ray disc brands - comparison

COW Forums : Decks & VTRs

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Olly LawerBlu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 13, 2011 at 12:06:50 pm

Hi,

At the moment I am archiving everything I shoot on our EX1's to Blu-ray disks. This seems to be the safest and least expensive method of storing footage (although always happy to hear alternatives).

I have been using TDK, 25GB discs for a while now. They are great. I managed to recently pick up a cracking deal which was 10 x 25GB TDK Blu-ray disks for £16.99. Unfortunately this offer was short lived and now they are £22.99. Still not bad...from what they used to be anyhow.

However, in my search for a better deal I came across another even better deal...Maxwell - £10.49 for 10 x 25GB discs

Never heard of the brand and because of the nature of what I am burning, I'm not sure saving 30% is worth the risk.

What do you think?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:18:40 pm

I'm not quite sure if Blu-ray suffers from the budget media syndrome that DVD had. At least I haven't seen the kinds of articles that talked about the shortcuts some manufacturers were taking. Things like outsourcing to factories with inconsistent standards, cutting corners on the components and layering process, etc. That said, I tend to buy media either at B&H locally or at SuperMediaStore.

SuperMediaStore
http://www.supermediastore.com/category/u/blank-recordable-blu-ray-bd-r-re-...

This is interesting but overpriced at the moment. 100GB Blu-ray for data backup.
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/tdk-blu-ray-bd-r-xl-4x-100gb-white...

B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ipp=100&ci=13279&N=4277998787+42949512...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Olly LawerRe: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 13, 2011 at 4:09:50 pm

Thank you. 100GB option does look interesting.

What I tend to suffer from is not utilising all of the 25GB. I tend to waste space on the Disc. For example, the last shoot I did ended with 32GB of data. Too large for one disk and way too small for a 50GB.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:19:09 pm

I'm certainly frustrated by Blu-ray sizes compared to Flash cards.

I've been told that 50GB is a bit more risky for archival because you're then dependent on the laser refocusing for playback on a dual layer disk. 25GB is obviously too small to archive 32GB Flash cards. Sony Clip Browser can split BPAV folders but I have not found the equivalent for AVCHD (BPMV) folders.

I'd really like to see high capacity single layer Blu-ray disk . . . at a "reasonable" price.

BTW from everything I read, Blu-ray isn't at all like DVD when it comes to archival. The Blu-ray surfaces (and the lasers) supposedly are much less likely to impacted by scratches or blemishes that occur over time and the layering process of the substrate to surface is much less resistant to short term decay. While they don't last forever I suspect the claims of 50 years are far more substantial compared to some "bargain" DVDs that could break down after a couple of years or be rendered useless with a single minor surface scratch.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BabbittRe: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:11:48 pm

One thing to definitely watch out for when looking for deals is discs labeled LTH (stands for low-to-high).
These are manufactured using a short-cut method. This may not cause problems for data discs, but I can confirm that video discs will have compatibility issues with some players.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:23:02 pm

Thanks for that. I've heard that as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_recordable#BD-R_LTH_.28Low_To_Hig...

BD-R LTH (Low To High)

BD-R LTH is a write-once Blu-ray disc format that features an organic dye recording layer. "Low To High" refers to the reflectivity changing from low to high during the burning process, which is the opposite of normal. The advantage of BD-R LTH is it can protect a manufacturer's investment in DVD-R/CD-R manufacturing equipment. Only modifications are required to current equipment; no investment in new production lines is required. It is believed this can lower the cost of disc manufacturing.

Old Blu-ray players and recorders cannot utilize BD-R LTH; however, a firmware upgrade can enable devices to access BD-R LTH. Panasonic released such a firmware update in November 2007 for its DMR-BW200, DMR-BR100 and MR-BW900/BW800/BW700 models Pioneer was expected to ship the first LTH BD drives in Spring 2008. Sony upgraded the PlayStation 3 firmware enabling BD-R LTH reading in March, 2008.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

by on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:25:54 pm

On LTH (references Verbatim)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Product_Resources/bds.pdf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin PatrickRe: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:41:53 pm

I think this link only covers DVD. But it is interesting info.

After reading, I decided to only user Verbatim BluRay BD-R SL discs. Haven't had any issues so far. But, I have no idea what the long term shelf life of them would be.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:51:38 pm

I've seen that and similar articles on media quality as well. Interestingly I haven't seen anything like that regarding Blu-ray media. In a couple of conversations I've had with manufacturers, the impression I get is that Blu-ray manufacturing specs don't allow for as much "slop" that one got with DVD manufacturing. I've certainly heard there are better/worse performers and read some interesting white papers with detailed testing (not product comparisons) and it would seem that even the "worst" is leagues ahead of QC issues that DVD faced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin PatrickRe: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 15, 2011 at 12:42:11 pm

You're right. When I started finally doing some work with BluRay, I thought I'm come across some information similar to that of the DVD issues, but I didn't. While I haven't been doing much with BluRay the several hundred I have burned has been error free.

Simply burning XDCAM EX to BluRay looks pretty good. With both FCP X directly and Encoure authored.

I still find it odd that Apple panned BluRay.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob MarkRe: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 6:53:13 pm

Blu-ray rendered video looks great. As far as data backup, I haven't really tried it much. Mostly, because hard drives are so inexpensive these days. Plus, I have yet to have a client that will let me send them EX1 footage on disk. They all want hard drives.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 29, 2011 at 7:22:33 pm

[Bob Mark] "Mostly, because hard drives are so inexpensive these days."

Hard drives fail. It's inevitable. Drives are cheap but my client's data is not. Blu-ray, like any media, won't last forever, but they are leagues ahead of DVD. A properly cared for Blu-ray disk will probably outlast a hard drive. Hard drive even go bad when not used, especially for long periods.

[Bob Mark] "Plus, I have yet to have a client that will let me send them EX1 footage on disk. They all want hard drives."

Fine for short term mobility. That's not archival though. I have sent clients EX1 files on disk although I sometimes send a batch of DVDs if they don't have a Blu-ray reader. With hard drives there's always the risk of being hung by NTFS vs Fat32 vs HFS, etc formatting issues, not knowing what computer they'll be using. I have used hard drives too but you do have to be careful about drive formatting.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BabbittRe: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 8:50:59 pm

Blu-Ray data discs are apparently subject to the same formatting issues as hard drives. I have a client who works in the Windows realm, and every time I send him a Blu-Ray with EX files that exceed 4gb, he cannot see those files. I still haven't found anything that works. Even doing an ISO 9660 disc won't work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob MarkRe: Blu-ray disc brands - comparison
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 10:17:10 pm

Yes, hard drives do fail. However, I have not had a failure in over 5 yr. Since I gave up on using scsi drives, I have not really had drive issues. When the solid state drives come down in price, they will be a good option. Burning disks is certainly a good option as well. I keep my important footage on three drives and on some disks and from way back on Beta SP tape. That 4 gig issue is "bite."

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]