Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

Potential Problem with EX1R file Writing?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
W. Lawrence StevensPotential Problem with EX1R file Writing?
by on Nov 20, 2011 at 11:24:25 pm

I have been using an EX1R as a B camera since February. I use Sandisk SD Pro disks and Hoodman adaptor. My workflow is comprised of shooting approximately 12, 8G disks on location and having an assistant back them up to a hard drive in the field using a Windows computer.

When I get home, I compare the bytes on each SD disc with the transfered BPAV file to make sure the numbers are exactly the same. Once I am satisfied all data has been transfered exactly as on the memory disc, I place the SD cards back in service for the next shoot.

Weeks or months later, when I need to use the footage, I get it from the hard drive backups since the original discs have been formated and used on subsequent shoots.

I know there are big flaws in this workflow. I should be using only SxS media and I should be using only a transfer method with CRC like Browser or ShotPut. All I can say is the system has been working flawlessly unless I myself screw up by not checking that the transfers were performed accurately. That's my fault. Otherwise, it has been fairly smooth sailing.

In July of this year, midway through a shoot, the system inexplicably stopped working. All BPAV folders from the B Cam from the afternoon of July 17 (and thereafter) won't read in either Transfer or Browser when access is attempted from the hard drive. I am able to rebuild the files in Browser and rescue the footage but I'd like to figure out why this is happening.

This is not an SD memory disk error or quality issue because I have 12 SD disks dedicated to the 1R and there is no difference with any of them. All BPAV folders from all 12 disks are exhibiting the same reading problem in Transfer and Browser.

This is not a workflow issue either since I use the same exact system, workflow (and SD disks) with our A camera (PMW-350), and it is working fine with no problems (unless I screw up).

I know I will be chastised for my workflow and told that my system was inherently unreliable and bound to break down on me. Okay, I get that. But could this be a problem with the 1R that happened during the July 17 shooting? Is there some setting or parameter which might change the way the files are stored? Since the system started failing at that moment and since, it seems logical.

The SD media reads fine when I plug it directly into the Mac and access with Browser or Transfer. The problem is when the data is backed up for later use and only since the July shoot.

Any help is appreciated.

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D3
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

W. Lawrence StevensRe: Potential Problem with EX1R file Writing?
by on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:22:15 am

UPDATE: In another thread, Don Greening suggested I reset/reboot the camera. OMG.. I think that worked! I'm still testing but I think that's the prize winner! Thanks again Don. If you are ever down in Los Angeles, I owe you lunch.

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D3
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: Potential Problem with EX1R file Writing?
by on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:27:39 am

Just make sure it really is fixed before you start dancing in the streets but, you're welcome.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy