Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

XDCAM transfer plugin ??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Aymeric De MeautisXDCAM transfer plugin ??
by on Aug 27, 2011 at 1:13:06 pm

hey guys, just been shooting some stuff with the sony F3 today and I came home to transfer it. I rented it the day before, and read up that you need the FCP XD plugin, so went to the site and it's currently under maintenance. So I searched everywhere and every forum/post directed me back to the exact site which is down. I have till tomorrow to transfer this footage, anyone know how I can get my hands on this codec?

gracias! :):)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andy MeesRe: XDCAM transfer plugin ??
by on Aug 27, 2011 at 2:55:46 pm

http://support.sonybiz.ca/esupport/Navigation.do?os=Mac

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Aymeric De MeautisRe: XDCAM transfer plugin ??
by on Aug 28, 2011 at 12:30:05 am

thank you good sir! :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Hal BeeryRe: XDCAM transfer plugin ??
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 7:55:51 pm

Beware that you'll also need to purchase additional software after your first two transfers (my experience) and then deal with MainConcept conversion packs. And that will be challenging (again, my experience.. but no one else is having this??? They have given me two bogus programs and it takes days to converse with them, get refunds, etc)
Good luck.... and my advice is don't rely on this transfer tool without some other backup for your client.

HalB

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: XDCAM transfer plugin ??
by on Aug 29, 2011 at 8:00:08 pm

XDCAM Transfer requires no additional purchase to wrap to .mov

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2011 at 8:34:59 pm

Thanks, Craig.
Maybe MC was trying to scare me with the watermark warnings. I can't get into Sony USA website to access the drivers for FCP, will try canadian next. and btw, I whipped out the cam and tried the transfer again, just to be able to send you the "error messages" and................ its transferring the 56 min clip right now. Hmmmmm. Why do I need that conversion pack #2? hmmmmmm.
What say you?

tnx,
Hal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2011 at 12:48:13 am

Hey Hal,

The Main Concept plugin packs are for transcoding your footage to other formats (like WMV) from within Sony's XDCAM Browser app. You only need to buy this if you need/want this functionality inside your XDCAM Browser app, it's not required for regular functionality with FCP which work's perfectly happily with the native capture files when wrapped in a Quicktime Movie container. As Craig notes, you don't need any other app other than Sony's free XDCAM Transfer (or their free XDCAM Browser app) to handle that simple rewrap on import procedure.

XDCAM Transfer is rock solid, been using it without issue since somewhere around version 0.5. The newer XDCAM Browser, seems no less reliable.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2011 at 7:49:52 am

Thanks, Andy, I must have some presets wrong. Where in the materials is there info on the presets/preferences in the Sony clipbrowser?

I opened a file from the camera and dragged it into a file on my hard drive and it became an XDCAM HD file with watermark.

thanks,
Hal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2011 at 8:36:16 am

Aha .... don't drag and drop from XDCAM Browser. Instead, right click the clip you want and choose the "Register for Final Cut Pro" option. This re-wraps the .mp4s or .mxfs as Quicktime Movies for use in FCP.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:16:23 pm

Damn, I just reformatted the cards....and subsequently noticed that when I attempted to transfer into FCP, the files are not highlighted.

In the Sony ClipBrowser, I dragged the file from the top explorer window to the open explorer file window below. That produced an mp4 in the computer Hard Drive. But I didn't do the right clip thang... cuz I just read this message this morning after client meetings. ug. Isn't there a manual somewhere?
tnx for the message,
Hal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2011 at 3:36:55 am

In the Sony ClipBrowser

Sounds like you might actually be using the wrong application Hal. You mention "Sony ClipBrowser" but you should be using a much newer but similarly named app called "XDCAM Browser" (currently at version 1.3).

There's good reason for the confusion, not least of all the name ... there have been a number of apps in the past which have been all rolled in to this one new app:

"XDCAM Browser combines some of the functionalities provided by the following separate software applications into a single cross platform (Windows and Mac OS) application: PDZ-1 XDCAM Proxy Browser, PDZ-VX10 Sony XDCAM Viewer, XDCAM Proxy Viewer, XDCAM Transfer for Final Cut Pro, and XDCAM EX ClipBrowser. Version 1.00 of XDCAM Browser supports many of the most popular features of these separate applications. The separate applications will eventually be phased out as more of their major features are ported over to XDCAM Browser."

Personally, I still prefer Sony XDCAM Transfer (PDZK-P1) a really nice native Mac utility designed for log and transfer of Sony XDCAM media. Last version was 2.12.0. Apparently there's one more version coming down the line, but then its gone. A little more info here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/876548

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]