Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

Onsite workflow?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Matt kingOnsite workflow?
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:49:01 pm

What is the best flow solution while shooting to dump down the EX3 files?

Currently we have 32Gb and a 16 Gb cards and over a days shoot these can fill up 2 or 3 times depending on the type of shoot. So i set up a workflow where i have a laptop and an external HDD at hand to copy over the footage while the other card is in use.

This system has worked fine on a one camera shoot so far but we are using more and more tapeless cameras and so wondered if there is a better way or a system that could automatically do it.

Ideally i would like a cleaver hard drive that knew when you plugged in the sxs drive and just copied everything over. I am also trying to lessen the amount of kit needed and also make it idiot proof.

all ideas welcome

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Onsite workflow?
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:03:26 pm

Buy more 32GB cards. Use 32GB Sandisk Extreme Class 10 cards for example. They can hold close to 2 hours per card. Copying to HDD during a shoot is an accident waiting to happen. Way too many things can go wrong from bad copies, erasing the wrong card, hard drive failure. No need for laptop and hard drive. Simplifies kit.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob TompkinsRe: Onsite workflow?
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 6:56:55 pm

I agree with Craig. In order to properly ingest properly you should be using either Clip Browser or something like Shotput Pro to copy the entire BPAV folder and use the "CRC check" feature while doing so. This can take a while to do. You only have to use one set of files to make this very worthwhile.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan OkeyRe: Onsite workflow?
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:22:28 pm

The Sony PXU-MS240 Mobile Storage Unit is a portable and lightweight recording device which makes it easy to transfer and store footage recorded on SxS cards. By using proprietary mobile drives, the PXU-MS240 can transfer XDCAM EX footage and extremely high rates, making it ideal for field archiving. With the ability to store up to 11 hours of footage on one drive, the unit is versatile enough for shooting documentaries, indie films and weddings. With the ability to connect to a PC or Mac via both eSATA and USB 2.0, the drive is both fast and flexible, no matter what your workstation requires.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659880-REG/Sony_PXU_MS240.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: Onsite workflow?
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:06:33 pm

Don't miss the NEXTO.
Much cheaper than the SONY and much bigger capacity.
Great also if you want to shoot on SDHC instead of SxS:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Nexto&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bruce QuayleRe: Onsite workflow?
by on Jun 5, 2010 at 8:47:55 am

I also vote with Craig on this.

With the cost of 32 gig cards coming down all the time and the quality getting so much better (eg. Hoodman adapter and SDHC cards that you can use exactly as SxS cards - overcranking and all). I feel it would be crazy to try dumping your precious video to a storage device at the same time as working on your shoot.

Just file them like you used to do with your tape or film cans and do the transfers later when you can take time and care to do it properly.

If you're doing so much work and using that many tapeless cameras a few hundred extra bucks is nothing compared to the peace of mind you'll get doing it properly.

Good luck.

Bruce

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]