Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

OSStatus error -12909

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Susana TraviesoOSStatus error -12909
by on May 27, 2010 at 3:31:32 pm

Quick question:

When I import the clips from an EX1r to a Mac Book Pro and try to open the MP4 clips I get the message:
"The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -12909.)"

Do I need a plug in so that QTime Player can play the clips? I just want to watch them before I store them in a drive, no editing required.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Clint FleckensteinRe: OSStatus error -12909
by on May 27, 2010 at 3:53:24 pm

You are supposed to be using the free Sony Clip Browser. If you're just extracting the MP4 clips off your card, you are SERIOUSLY breaking your footage.

You must not have Final Cut Studio installed on your MacBook, which means that you can not view the files in Quicktime. You can purchase an MP4 codec from Calibrated Software to do that.

Again, since you're talking about the MP4s, and have not mentioned either of the free Sony software products, I'm led to believe that you are very dangerously mishandling your footage. You need to stop and learn the workflow properly before you are bitten by this. Read this forum thoroughly, this sort of thing is explained ad nauseam if you scroll down the posts.

Just out of curiosity, just how ARE you "importing the clips?"

Cf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: OSStatus error -12909
by on May 27, 2010 at 4:06:24 pm

Camera operator hands Assistant BetaSP tape. Assistant promptly breaks open the cassette and puts the crinkled tape into deck and then wonders what's wrong.

I apologize. I can't help myself.

Don't separate contents from BPAV as it's the cassette.

BPAV in ClipBrowser with CRC to Hard Drive.
BPAV on Hard Drive to XDCAM Transfer for MOV wrapping for Final Cut Pro.

ClipBrowser can play the clips.
FCP 6.0.2 and up required to have codec for Quicktime Apps to play.
Alternately one must buy Calibrated Software plugin for non FCP systems for Quicktime playback.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Susana TraviesoRe: OSStatus error -12909
by on May 27, 2010 at 4:23:06 pm

Thanks for your reply and no need for sarcasm. I know that BPAV stays together and that's how I handle it. My question is if I don't have FCP how can I check the footage since Clip Browser does not really have a good window to watch the clips.

So far I've worked in 3 shoots and have not have any problems with the workflow, but the clients always ask how they can check the quality of the footage.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: OSStatus error -12909
by on May 27, 2010 at 4:36:33 pm

Windows
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImport_Win.asp
Mac
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImport_Mac.asp

The computer still needs to have the horsepower to play them back properly. Keep in mind that a computer monitor is not likely to be color calibrated for broadcast playback.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 27, 2010 at 4:10:01 pm

Thanks for your reply--
I am using the SDHC cards with the adapter. I am downloading the clips to the laptop with the reader.
I am using the Sony Clip Browser just to see that the data is all there but I can't really see the quality of the footage. Thought I could open the clip to QTime reader and see it there.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Clint FleckensteinRe: OSStatus error -12909
by on May 27, 2010 at 5:58:40 pm

You also want to use the Clip Browser to do your copying, because you have the ability to turn on CRC error checking in the application's preferences. That can help safeguard against corrupted clips.

I have the Calibrated Software codec on one of our machines, it's great and the price is reasonable.

Cf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 27, 2010 at 7:21:07 pm

Thank you, much appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter