Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

How to import XDCAM-video to my mac...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Håvard ØsthusHow to import XDCAM-video to my mac...
by on May 11, 2010 at 7:57:34 pm

Hi!

I have rented a Sony PMW-EX1R, and want to edit my footage in Final Cut Express (FCE) on my macbook pro. I understand this can not be done easily with XDCAM video, when using FCE (found it out the hard way...). I have tried many ways, both with Firewire and USB connection, but it does not work. The only way to transfer video is by using the firewire connection in iMovie, import as a DV-stream (bad quality, 720x576), and then export this footage to FCE. This is no good solution, so I am curious, is there any other way (except Final Cut Pro and other programs costing from $500 and up) to export the XDCAM video in an allright quality, to my mac?

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I am new on this forum:)

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: How to import XDCAM-video to my mac...
by on May 11, 2010 at 11:00:44 pm

Welcome to Creative COW, Håvard.

Sadly, you are out of luck trying to import and play back EX footage in Final Cut Express because the EX codec needed does not exist in that program. Only Final Cut Pro. As you have discovered, you need to transcode to a format/codec that FCE already has, which may or may not result in a quality loss during the process.

The workaround is to buy the Calibrated Software for Computers without FCP. This will allow you to view and play back EX native MP4 clips in Quicktime 7 and other programs that support Quicktime. it Doesn't specifically say that FC Express is supported but I'm sure they would let you know if you sent them a short email.

Other than the above suggestion you are limited to what you're already doing, unfortunately. Do you have a friend close by that has FCP 6.0.2 or better? If so then that would be the best choice. If you're planning to buy one of the EX cameras in the future then you need FCP.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Håvard ØsthusRe: How to import XDCAM-video to my mac...
by on May 12, 2010 at 10:35:57 am

Thank you (both) for answering my question! Even though it was not positive...:( I will copy all the raw footage onto my mac, and then save up to buy FCP. I guess this will work, also when importing from my hard drive?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: How to import XDCAM-video to my mac...
by on May 13, 2010 at 6:35:04 pm

[Håvard Østhus] "I guess this will work, also when importing from my hard drive?"

Yes, it's exactly the same as if you were importing the clips from the SxS Pro memory cards. A few rules to follow when transferring the media from card to hard drive:

Never re-name the BPAV folder.
If you have multiple BPAV folders put each one inside their own separate folder on your hard drive.
Don't alter or remove anything from inside a BPAV folder.

If any of the above points are not followed Sony's XDCAM Transfer Tool and Sony's Clip Browser will not see the BPAV folders on your hard drive and will cause you problems.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Håvard ØsthusRe: How to import XDCAM-video to my mac...
by on May 13, 2010 at 10:58:59 pm

Great, thank you so much!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: How to import XDCAM-video to my mac...
by on May 11, 2010 at 11:14:08 pm

You'd need Final Cut Pro for that. FCE is not set up for XDCAM EX footage. Though you could download Sony's capture utility and convert the footage say to 480p/60i. Kinda pointless then though...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]