Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

"White Glow" effect on EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Paul Schultz"White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 2:47:55 am

Has anyone experienced a "white glow" or "soft filter" effect when shooting exteriors with the EX1? This keeps happening to me specifically on bright, hot spot areas, such as someone wearing a white T-shirt, it looks like the image has a glow effect on it.

And yes, lenses are clean and everything is ok mechanically with the camera.

Any tips would be great. Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: "White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:46:30 am

Are you sure you don't have the peaking function activated? The default colour for peaking is white and would indeed look like a halo effect around an object in focus. I have my peaking colour set to blue for just this reason.

- Don

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul SchultzRe: "White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 4:18:59 am

Thanks for responding Don. Isn't the peaking function for adjustments only? This effect I'm having is actually recording on the image. It's like a white spill/glow, sort of.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: "White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 5:11:19 am

[Paul Schultz] "This effect I'm having is actually recording on the image."

Oh, okay. That's not right then. I've never heard of this issue before. So it's not across the entire image. Just where the really, really bright areas are? If those areas are really blown out (107-109 IRE) you may see that sort of spill. Am I on the right track? Do you have your zebras and your centre bright display active to check if those areas are indeed blown out?

- Don

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Will SalleyRe: "White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 5:22:20 pm

It could be:

-high humidity fogging the front or rear element (most likely)
-dirt or film on the lens (you've already addressed this)
-overexposure
-ND filter not completely engaged or disengaged (rare)

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 2, 2010 at 5:32:28 pm

Thank you Will.

I will heed all suggestions and narrow down my issue with some continuing tests.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew RomanisRe: "White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 3, 2010 at 10:06:06 pm

Posting a still image would help too.
Has anyone been playing around with the picture profile settings?
I imagine when you are shooting outside you are using the ND sliders? try exposing a shot without them to see if there is anything wrong with them.
Matthew.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 3, 2010 at 10:33:10 pm

Thanks for contributing Matthew.

Below is a still of a shot that has this "glow" effect on the white areas.

http://www.regdor.com/EX3A0025_01.jpg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matthew RomanisRe: "White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 4, 2010 at 12:27:13 am

Do you have access to HDSDI monitor? Larger would be better.
It's worth comparing the the HDSDI output to what is recorded to determine that it's not something in the Mpeg encoding.
The blooming on your still look's a bit too sharp edged to be a lens artefact.
Just a suggestion, not a conclusion.
Matthew.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 4, 2010 at 12:35:21 am

On the same shot, the "glow" completely disappears when the subject walks under a shadow. It is probably connected with exposure, and maybe a combination of over exposure and environmental factors.

One more observation, this has happened to me twice. both times, the day was cloudy with the sun breaking through, like right after summer rain. When the weather is like this, everything soft of looks like it has a "silver" glow to the naked eye. I don't know if it is related to the issue, but it's just an observation and perhaps if anyone else out there has noticed this, they can confirm similar environmental factors.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

arif rasibRe: "White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 6, 2010 at 7:10:41 am

Hi Paul. i have had two Ex1 camcorders since day 1. There is nothing wrong with your Ex1. shooting white dresses on weddings is a task and half to achieve without blowing the details and keeping good exposure on the overall subject. hence sony added this feature of shockless white. i am more than certain you have this set to OFF in your camera menu. (menu/camera/shockless white)
i have mine mostly set on 2. shoot a subject with white details with different settings (OFF, 1,2,3). hope this solves your problem. arif.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BabbittRe: "White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 6, 2010 at 2:44:39 pm

"Shockless White" has nothing to do with exposure. It relates to White Balance only. All it does is slow down the rate of change when switching between manual and ATW.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

arif rasibRe: "White Glow" effect on EX1
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:12:34 pm

you are quite right Chris. the only other thing i can think of is, TLCS (auto adjustment system of gain, iris and shutter) might be worth checking what setting you have Paul (backlight/standard/spotlight)
page 101 in the manual.

regards Arif

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]