Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

EX-3 .SMI extension on video file

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Marianne GerdesEX-3 .SMI extension on video file
by on Dec 26, 2008 at 11:36:10 pm

I have a file with an .SMI extension. I can see it on my XD-CAM transfer program, but it doesn't import. It is spanning a 8bit and 16bit card. Can this be eliminated if I transfer directly from camera into the computer rather than using the SxS card reader? How do I overcome the .SMI extension?

Marianne

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: EX-3 .SMI extension on video file
by on Dec 27, 2008 at 12:30:55 am

Hi Marrianne,

Welcome to Creative COW. Yes, you need to have the BPAV folders from both cards accessible in Sony's Transfer Tool in order to successfully recombine a video clip that spans the 2 cards. You can do this in a couple of different ways:

1. Use the camera as a deck. Connect your camera via USB and then turn it on. In the camera's viewfinder you'll see a prompt to confirm that you want to connect (via USB). Once the camera has connected you'll see the icons from both cards become visible on the desktop. Start the Transfer Tool and navigate to your cards one at a time. Wait until the clips appear from the first card and then navigate to the 2nd one. Once all the clips are visible the Transfer Tool will combine the 2 pieces from the spanned clip automatically and you'll be able to import that one along with all the rest.

2. You can use your card reader to actually copy the BPAV folder from the first card to your hard drive. Put the BPAV folder inside another folder that you can name whatever you wish. Don't change the name of any BPAV folder otherwise Sony's Transfer tool or the Clip Browser will not see it.. Once you've copied the 1st BPAV folder do the same for the 2nd card. Put that folder inside another user-named folder just like you did with the first card. Now start Sony's Transfer Tool and navigate to these 2 copied folders just the same as if they were still on the SxS Pro Memory cards.

Using either method outlined above, once you navigate to the cards themselves or the folders that you've named, the Transfer Tool will "see" the BPAV folders inside and will display the clips in the Transfer Tool window

Hope this helps.

- Don

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike SweetRe: EX-3 .SMI extension on video files?
by on Dec 28, 2008 at 7:06:35 am

I wonder if you can offer some advice on a problem I have encountered using the EX3 for the first time...

I transferred the files from the SxS cards to my Mac Hard drive.
The card reader created four BPAV folders on my drive, but half of the MP4 files within these BPAV folders are unreadable by XDCam transfer software eg it doesn't 'see' them and wont import. It's odd because 3 files (about half the footage shot) imported fine as .mov clips. Perhaps the problem lies with the fact that one clip spanned two SxS cards? The first part imported fine, but the second part of that clip, and subsequent clips are not being 'seen' by XDCam transfer.

The files are all intact in the finder window and show their size. But they wont preview in Quicktime, but are readable by VLC player, so it seems all the media is there.

Any suggestions on how I can rectify this would be very greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: EX-3 .SMI extension on video files?
by on Dec 28, 2008 at 7:41:47 pm

EX mp4 files are not viewable in Quicktime as you found out.

Clips that are more than 4GB (FAT32 limit) are spanned. The .smi file joins the clips. They must all be available to the XDCAM Transfer Tool. You can import the separate mp4 of spanned clips, as subclips.

The simple way to coply/rewrap/import:

Copy BPAV from cards to hard drive, each in their own parent folder.
Then
To rewrap to mov and import make sure ALL BPAV parent folders are added to the XDCAM Transfer Tool and then Select All and then Import All.

That way you don't have to worry at all about what's spanned or not.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 28, 2008 at 8:56:50 pm

Thanks. But when I add my 4 parent BPAV folders (BPAV, BPAV2, BPAV3, BPAV4) to the XDCam transfer tool, only one (BPAV) says it has clips (3 - the last being incomplete). The other folders say 0 clips. Import is only allowed to these 3 clips. Importing sub clips is greyed out and unavailable.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: EX-3 .SMI extension on video files?
by on Dec 28, 2008 at 9:26:45 pm

[Mike Sweet] "But when I add my 4 parent BPAV folders (BPAV, BPAV2, BPAV3, BPAV4) to the XDCam transfer tool, only one (BPAV) says it has clips (3 - the last being incomplete)."

If the folders that you're referring to as BPAV2, BPAV3, BPAV4 are by way of explanation that you are dealing with 4 BPAV folders then that's fine. If you've actually named them that way then this is the reason why the Sony Transfer Tool can't see them as valid container folders for EX files. You cannot change the BPAV folder name to anything else because the Transfer Tool will not see it.

Create 4 folders and name them whatever you like (such as card 1 folder etc.) and then put a single BPAV folder into each one of your named folders. The Transfer Tool will "see" the BPAV folder inside each of your named folders and display the clips for you.

- Don

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 29, 2008 at 4:07:26 am

Don/Craig. Many thanks. Problem solved and a rather vital shoot in London can now finally be edited here in Athens!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: EX-3 .SMI extension on video files?
by on Dec 29, 2008 at 7:08:46 pm

[Mike Sweet] "Don/Craig. Many thanks. Problem solved and a rather vital shoot in London can now finally be edited here in Athens!"

Glad things worked out, Mike. Feel free to bring us back a little something from Athens.

- Don

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]