Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY CINEALTA:Sony CineAlta HD ForumHDV Format ForumSony CineAlta HD Articles

Sodium Flare or Didymium filter for EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David WheelerSodium Flare or Didymium filter for EX1
by on Oct 6, 2008 at 5:29:11 pm

I need to shoot a glass blowing artist with my XDCAM. He recommends using a filter to reduce the sodium flare. Glass blowers wear special didymium glasses to reduce the flare, but I cannot find an appropriate filter for my camera. Two questions: Can anyone recommend a filter manufacturer or have an idea where I can get didymium glass big enough to fix to the EX1 lens hood? Will shooting without a specialized filter damage my CMOS chips?

Thanks!
Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: Sodium Flare or Didymium filter for EX1
by on Oct 6, 2008 at 8:02:18 pm

This is a related discussion on possible CMOS damage from shooting with the sun in the shot:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/860245#860271

- Don

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David WheelerRe: Sodium Flare or Didymium filter for EX1
by on Oct 6, 2008 at 8:32:54 pm

Thanks, Don. Sony Pro Products support returned a call saying that sodium flare from glass blowing is not intense enough to damage CMOS chips. They could not recommend a manufacturer for didymium filters, however,so the filter search continues. Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MayRe: Sodium Flare or Didymium filter for EX1
by on Oct 7, 2008 at 5:27:55 pm

David,

The majority of your shots will likely be composed in a way that you can see most of the glass blower, and some background of the shop - medium to wide, making the extreme brightness of the blower small enough to not be a concern, so if you light it up (your shot), increasing the brightness of the rest of the scene, you will reduce the difference or contrast of the torch. Add to that a circular polarizer, and even a single ND and you should be fine.

For your cut-away CU b-roll shots and any artistic XCU of the glass blowing, try a second ND, the circular polarizer, and if that doesn't provide enough protection, try this: shoot for a moment through the glasses you mentioned in the first post that the glass blower uses. If it's a shield, (helmet) all the better, and if not, just try to position the EX1 to shoot through one side of the glasses, and see what the difference is; what color is being added, if any. See if you can match that color with a full sheet of either a Rosco gel, or a Lee filter. They're only about $4 each. Brand new, they are as clear as glass, and if you can position the gel flat and tight, along with the polarizer and ND you should be in a position to get very creative and artistic CU shoots for your b-roll.

I've tied two strings across a room so that I can clothes line clip the top and bottom of a gel in order to get a tight flat still sheet to shoot through. Saves from buying a large square frame, and works very well.

Let me know how it goes! -Stephen

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BisphamRe: Sodium Flare or Didymium filter for EX1
by on Oct 7, 2008 at 5:31:02 pm

I am not trying to sound sarcastic, but you could try to find the largest pair of didymium glasses that the glass blower wears and gaf or hold it over your lens. If anything to see what the glasses do. Maybe just for close ups.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg BarkerRe: Sodium Flare or Didymium filter for EX1
by on Nov 20, 2008 at 12:06:47 am

Hello David. I don't know if you've found your solution yet but I've seen some really great footage that Gary Adcock (from the FCP Cow Forum) shot on an early EX1. I can't remember if it was glass blowing or jewelery making using a flame but the footage was great. Unfortunately I was admiring the composition and capabilities of the camera and wasn't necessarily paying attention to what it was... You may want to try to track him down and ask him the question.

- Greg

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David WheelerRe: Sodium Flare or Didymium filter for EX1
by on Nov 20, 2008 at 6:33:08 pm

Thanks for the tip, Greg. I'll try to track him down.

Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]